Sunday 16 January 2011

BLOG 35


I have finished sewing and labelling all my machine stitches; this was really something I should have done when I first got the machine! Straight away I can see the value of having it to hand by my machine and hopefully it will save me time when I need to find the right stitch for the right job.

Book of machine stitches

It is held together with safety pins at present because the pages are too bulky to fit and sew under the foot of my machine. I need to perhaps sew the spine by hand to keep the ‘pages’ together.

Alongside my researched sketches, pictured in Blog 34, this book of machine stitches has already proved invaluable this week. I have started to decorate some of the floral shapes, using a palette of reds, oranges, greens and yellows. The stitching has to be done in a hoop, to prevent the fabric from distortion and a stabiliser is ironed onto the back of the fabric to give extra body. Here is an example and a detailed close-up:

Decorative stitches

Decorative stitches detail

You have seen Ella’s upholstered chair, and the little cushion I made to go on it. Now Ella is using her chair for refreshments and stories and here’s the proof! Aw bless!

Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment