Sunday 17 July 2011

BLOG 59

I have had a pleasing and productive time in the garden this week, taking advantage of the lovely weather naturally but mainly escaping from the mess made by the plumber, tiler and electrician as they installed a shower in the family bathroom. ‘Music while you work’ was another reason to be outdoors; it was constant, it was loud and it turned a normally calm and peaceful home into a head banging experience.

I have continued to work on unfinished projects like the one shown below from a workshop by local quilter, Jenny Roberts. Her array of samples, shown at her lecture, was inspirational and I particularly liked the way she set her hanging inside a wooden frame. I have to say that it is often difficult for me as a well-known teacher to attend quilting workshops because of the assumption that there is nothing left for me to learn. WRONG! I had a great day and this is what we achieved in the workshop. I have decided to make it wider by adding a central panel.

Floral panels

To make the centre panel I needed to construct a similar background from the 2 chosen fabrics. This starts as 2 strips of fabric, of the same size, placed one on top of the other. They are sliced randomly into 4 wedges and then swapped over to alternate fabrics.

Fabric wedges

The wedges are joined together and, with the use of batting and a backing fabric, made into a turned-through strip with the side seams on the inside and the batting in the middle. I just wanted to use one panel, which was then quilted with a background texture. The top and the bottom edges remain open.

.

Sewn panel, textured panel

3 panels

Extra daisies are needed now, prepared with white fabric and a fusible, and that’s my next task on this project.

Another project that came to light when tidying up my storage space is an appliqué cushion. The shapes are cut from dyed fabric and fused. They have been laboriously appliquéd by hand with a buttonhole stitch and the decorative stitching and texture have been added by machine.

Chrysanthemum cushion

Chrysanthemum cushion detail

I made several more soft boxes and here they are en masse. Some were made with an extra calico layer marked with the grid, to give a lose lining. Job done!!

The detailed method for this project can be found in Blog 57.

Soft boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment