Tuesday 3 January 2012

BLOG 83

Happy New Year to one and all. I hope it is all that you
would wish for yourself. It took us all day yesterday to take down, label and
pack away all the Christmas paraphernalia and, whilst the house looks very bare
even with my utility quilts draped around, it is good to be the other side of
the occasion. I make no resolutions so I cannot fail. I have no aspirations, so
I can’t be disappointed. All I want is to be healthy and happy and to be
allowed to play!

Talking of playing, I have had a good clean out of my studio.
The design wall is empty creating a blank canvas. The waste bin is also empty,
like an open mouth ready for the many scraps coming its way.


Blank canvas

Empty bin

When tidying, I retrieved fabric from samples and projects
that I didn’t want to finish. All the painterly bits have been overlapped onto
a fusible web and ironed, to transfer the fusible onto the WS of the fabric.



Fused fabric back

It is important to overlap the fabrics around the edges and alongside
one another, so that no fusible gets onto the iron or onto the ironing surface.
Iron from both sides but spend more time working firmly against the paper on
the back, particularly around the edges. This ensures that the fusible is
transferred thoroughly. Allow to cool.


Fused fabric front

Carefully pull the paper from the back so that it can be used
again for designing or construction fused shapes. (My roll of fusible is 36”
wide so it is great for constructing my wall hangings.)


Removing the paper

Pull the the fabrics apart; they will naturally rip along the
joins without harming the fusible. The fabric is now ready for trimming and it
is easy to see where the fusible has been added.



Ready for trimming

I used a rotary cutter with a pinked blade to trim away any unfused
fabric. The fabrics are now ready to
cut and use but as I don’t know yet what I am going to create, I have stored
them in plastic sleeves.


Ready to go


It is so good to
be up and running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment