Sunday 29 May 2016

BLOG 301


BLOG 301
SUNSHINE AND SHADOW

When it is sunny outside, it is very difficult to concentrate the mind on indoor pursuits; that then is why we have evenings! So after our evening meal, I scurry up to my room and slump in front of my machine to sew the many seams that make up a quilt. Gresford is the main focus now and there is a lot of slog between now and then. I have optimistically entered this Sunshine and Shadow scrap quilt so I have to get on with it. This is what it looks like with the squares for almost 9 rows on the design wall. Squares in the middle section only have been joined together.

                Scrap quilt

I use the floor an awful lot whilst sewing. Here my threads land after I have cut them (I can’t think why I don’t place my litter bin there; it would save an awful lot of clearing up!!), and I pile my blocks there for ease of access. (Note for the exercise conscious readers: picking them up requires plenty of reaching, bending and stretching!!)

              Making rows

I need to construct the rows by joining the ready-quilted squares and this I do with 2 strips. I have covered this procedure before but it always worth a second mention. The squares are 6 ½” so the strips are cut to this length. The top strip measure 1” x 6 ½” and the back strip measures 1 ½” x 6 ½”.

                  Top and bottom joining strips

Place the front joining strip RS together on the lower edge of the square and, at the same time, place the back joining strip RS together along the same edge on the back.

                Sewing the joining strips

              Detail

Use a ¼” foot to sew an accurate ¼” seam to attach the strips through all the layers.

             Seam
Attach the next square in sequence to the top joining strip with RS together. Sew an accurate ¼” seam and make sure that the edges of the blocks are level with one another.

                Joining squares

And back to floor again where you can see considerable progress has been made.

             Work in progress

Part of this process has to be done by hand for a neat finish. The edges of the seams attached with the 1” strip butt up to one another. (Too small a seam allowance would leave a gap; too large a seam allowance would cause the edges overlap)

               Butting edges
Press and fold the edge of the back joining strip so that is rests along the first line of stitches.

             First fold
Press the folded edge over so that it covers the raw edges and finishes just beyond the second line of stitches. Pin and sew it down with a matching thread and concealed stitch.

                Second fold
The story so far: I still have to join the vertical lines and I need to make some dark squares to go all the way round the edge!

                Vertical rows

                Dark squares
The squares of floral fabrics on the back make this a reversible quilt.

              WS squares

No comments:

Post a Comment