Sunday 15 January 2017

BLOG 330


BLOG 330

And off we jolly well go into 2017! The picture below is an illustration on impending activity! The iron is plugged in, the machine is ready to do its stuff and there are bags full of fabric ready to be sorted and sewn.  I usually start a scrap quilt at this time of the year and that is now underway (more on the next time). It is a long term, stuff-it-under-the-machine type project which requires no mental activity, just application and slog.

            Off we go

I have loads of spools for my machine and there are several which have annoyingly small amounts of thread wrapped around them. A scrap project is a good way of using them up but it does mean that you have to be vigilant as they run out annoyingly often. Just as I get pleasure about not wasting scrap fabrics, the same applies for threads also. It must be my northern-ness and it makes me feel smugly self-righteous!

               Spools


Another vein of creativity will be to follow one of aims, which is to work my way through this year with as much colour as I can.  I’m sure you know how much I love colour and I possess a lot of colourful fabric which makes my mouth water. So I am starting off with a scrap bag of bits and strips to see where that leads me.

            Bits and strips

To start with, I am creating small shapes, roughly 4” by free-sewing strips around a middle square. This is very naïve sewing as I am trying not to be too fussy about size and shape; all the concentration will be on colour families.

            Colour families

                Trimmed shapes


I work on one colour family each time I have an hour in the loft room and it is very therapeutic.

            Progress

As I am working at my machine, I am pondering what I am going to do with them?! So, on the carpet at my feet, I start to organise them as I sew. I don’t want to be too restricted at this stage but it is a delight to see what may or may not happen.   

               Trial run

               More shapes

               Even more

And so this colourful project will continue. In the meantime let me share a beautifully machine embroidered cushion with you. This was made by Pat, one of the ladies who sit around the table with me at Suzette’s. I have watched it being sewn over many, many weeks and I think it is fabulous!



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
        Pat’s cushion

             Detail 1

             Detail 2

No comments:

Post a Comment