Sunday 11 March 2018

BLOG 387

BLOG 387
This week I have set to and tidied my work space! Not a job I particularly like to do really but I cannot bear it when I can’t see any working surfaces any more. So, periodically I have a good turn-out, sort-out and throw-out. During the course of this therapeutic but non-creative process, I came across things which have served me well for this week’s blog!
Firstly, I found a pile of paper strips which were cut away from the A4 sheets I used last year as a foundation for a scrap quilt. As I dislike waste, I began to ponder how I could use them to make a scrap quilt this year. So, armed with a bag of colourful strips, a sewing machine to sew straight lines and the seed of an idea, I began to sew. I tried several paper layouts first and here’s the progress.
              Foundation paper
 

            Bag of bits
 

               Layout 1
 

           Layout 2
                
               Layout 3
 

              Stitch and flip
 

               Trim
 

              Leftovers
 

                Progress
 

            Block
                6 blocks
 

                Varied centres
 
I like this project and will find the odd half hour during the weeks to come to sew more strips. It is mindless sewing and easy to start and stop and I have the satisfaction of seeing the bag of bits going down gradually. (I had to wrestle with myself not to keep the itsy bitsy bits which were trimmed away; that’s going a bit too small for me!)


 
LINUS QUILT 4
And secondly, I found a pile of ready-bonded hearts in rich colours, ready for some project long forgotten! I have a drawer of calico fabrics that I dyed enthusiastically years ago only to realise that there were much nicer ready–dyed fabrics already on the market to buy! I have never dyed since! I cut 6 ½” background squares, fused the hearts centrally and joined the squares together in rows and the rows together to form a quilt centre. A colourful border fabric was added to complete another quilt top. Job done; 4 down, 2 to go!
              Bonded hearts
 

           Dyed calico
 

                 Background squares
                Fused hearts
 

             Construction
 

                  Quilt centre
 

               Bordered centre
 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment