Sunday 27 July 2014

BLOG 208


 

The official UK summer holidays for schools are now on and many groups take a well-earned break from their routine meetings. I think this is a good idea because you start again refreshed and eager in September. So I too have decided to take a break from my usually ‘quilty’ things.

Over the past few weeks I have continued to sort out and throw out, emptying files and cabinets of all the things I no longer think are worth keeping, like all the magazine projects and articles that I have accumulated over the years. Some of the detritus goes back to my very early quilting days 30 years ago and much of the detail and most of the methods have been long superseded by more up-to-date approaches. I had kept articles on quilters that I admired and there were files of pictures of quilts that I loved, pages of tips and wrinkles, advice on quilting supplies …. And so it goes on. Now there is Google and I have all the information I could ever want or need at my fingertips as well as any amount of advice, comment or demonstration videos that I could wish for. And I also own shelves of books. I have over-load on a grand scale!

So a break is a good idea and during this precious free time I am going to work my way through projects and skills that I have wanted to try but never got round to having a go  at them. I am interested in processes rather than an end product which was my only aim in the run-up to the Gresford craft show. Look in often over the summer and you should see a plethora of ideas (some successful I hope, and some not I dare say). I will just go wherever the creative wind blows me and see what comes out of it! It is a rare chance for me to play.

 FELTING

I have had a go at simple wet felting once and this is what I made from a mixed bag of fibres. It feels very soft to the touch and surprisingly tough.

                          Wet felting

 Then, 2 years ago, I bought a needle felting machine and I have made precious little with it apart from copying a couple of landscapes. This one is made on a double background layer of felt with cotton batting on top. It is very strong and stable.

                     Needle felted landscape


Then a good friend recently gave me some wool tops (roving) that she bought and never used. These are the recommended fibres for felting and this gave me the impetus to start exploring what I could use them for. But first, I need to make something as a thank you for my friend so that I didn’t have a guilty conscience about using her fibres!  

                                  Wool tops

 I started to pull tufts of wool from the tops and mixed the fibres together under the needles of the felting machine without any backing fabric. I continued to add more fibres and pound them together to make felt which was surprisingly easy. From the sequence below you will see that there was no attention to what colour goes where, it was all totally random.

                                           Start

                               More fibres

                                                Felt

                                 Felt detail RS

                                    Felt detail WS


When I inspected this first attempt closely, I found that I was distracted by the needle holes punched into the felt; I much preferred the texture of the WS. That said, I used the needle-punched side to create an A5 book cover for my friend. I made extra felt and cut out a large and small flower which I added by needle felting them to the front.

                                       Sleeves

                                          Lining

                               Completed WS

                                   Completed RS


What did I learned?

The process of felting with the machine is safe and easy. There is no danger of getting your fingers under the needle and apart from the using colour in a more thoughtful way for future projects, it is simple to do.

I prefer the look of the WS of needle-punched felt. (Can a piece be made in reverse I ask myself?)

I like the fact that there was no backing layer, this was pure felt made with the correct materials.

This first attempt made me ask myself whether I would like to try to use felt in a more painterly way.

No comments:

Post a Comment