Sunday 24 February 2019

BLOG 434


Blog 434
It has been a busy week for working outside as the weather was surprisingly warm and dry. We need to catch up on painting rendered walls so I have made a small start on that. We live in a cottage converted from stone outbuildings on what was a small farm but the garage, lean-to utility room and garden walls are all rendered so there is quite a lot to paint. I thought an hour or so a day should see it through in a normal week but then an unexpected death means that we have to go to Cardiff for a family funeral on Tuesday.

I managed to find time this week to fit in a 1000 piece jigsaw! I just love doing jigsaws and the process is not unlike my present way of working with fabric. I am often trying to find the right fabric scrap to fit a certain place to construct a visually pleasing picture. Both require patience and both are very time consuming and both are immensely satisfying when they are done!


           Jigsaw: the start 
 


          Jigsaw: the end  

A lot of thread work has been added to my garden wall picture and, as you can imagine, this sewing process takes a lot of time. Here are a couple of pictures of the stitching through wadding so you have a better idea of what is going on and then there are a couple of stitched features from the right side.



           Stitching 1 
 



          Stitching 2





         Foxglove





                  
          Cat
 

 
A hint of spring brings with it a need to tidy and feather the nest! And to that end I have been making Roman blinds and curtains. I love looking at furnishing fabrics and just enjoying them for what they are but when I find just the right colour/style that might fit in one of my rooms, I can’t help myself! I haven’t made Roman blinds before but I learned how to do them this week by dismantling those that were in situ. I used a cheap terracotta remnant which was embroidered with cream flowers.
 
 



               Fabric for Roman blinds




The other fabric I found was also embroidered with a surface design and that was ideal for the small window in the guest room. I usually spend a lot of time at the ironing board when curtain making and I think that pressing contributes a lot to the success of curtain-making! Making curtains was a light relief from the creative sewing I have been doing lately.




          Fabric for curtains






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment