Sunday 2 June 2019

BLOG 446

Blog 446

 
I am still embarrassed to be showing the ‘Sampler in the Cabin’ quilt as I have still managed to avoid doing anything to it apart from move it when it gets in my way. Still, it is at the front of my mind now and I will crack it sometime soon (but don’t hold your breath)!! And just a reminder, it is a miniature quilt with the individual blocks measuring 6”.

         Sampler in the cabin
 
I have added a lot of textured stitching to the painterly background that I made last week. I love the colours I have used and the way they move throughout the piece. I decided to add subtle flowers, in this case free-cut primroses, over the top so as not to detract from the background. I made it into a cushion for my Gresford display.


            Textured background
 
 

          Detail
 
 


            Completed cushion
 
 




             Flower detail
 


 
While I was on a roll making cushions, I found 2 panels that I had made for workshops way back when. These translated well into art cushions.
 


        Clematis art cushion
 
 


              Cushion collection
 

 

               Panel
 
 

         



              Anemone art cushion
 
 

Yesterday I took part in the charity run ‘Gung-Ho 5km’ which took place on the Chester race course. It involved a course covering 5km (obviously!), interspersed with huge, slippery inflatable obstacles. I was with Tess, Richard and granddaughter Ella (9) and taking part was great fun. But at 70 I’m not as fit as I used to be so I largely went round on my own as the many others in our group disappeared in a blur into the distance. I adopted a ‘trot for 50 and walk for 50’ system (I’m not built to run!) and managed to get round …. Eventually!! Richard finished promptly and then came back and did the last 1/3 of the course again with me.  I was very touched. He helped me get over a fiendishly difficult climbing wall where someone was lying at the base awaiting an ambulance! The last obstacle included wading through a bubble bath but I slipped on the grass and ended up totally submerged and thoroughly disorientated with my glasses covered in foam; thankfully Ella came in to find me. So I survived but it took the rest of the day to recover. All in a good cause though.




 

Gung-Ho 5k Chester
 

No comments:

Post a Comment