Sunday 13 October 2019

BLOG 465

Blog 465

I am still waiting for the bias tape to arrive before I can go any further with the Poinsettia wall hanging project but, just for the record, here is the book and project which inspired me. And it is so important to acknowledge where inspiration has come from. I have witnessed many occasions when some of my own patterns or methods has been passed off as someone else’s without any acknowledgement!
 


             Book
 


              Inspiration
 


 
Following the refurbishment of my play room, I decided to go in there and just, well, play! I have a new friend in there in the form a Calor gas stove and I love it! I call it Flash because that’s what happens when it is turned on and it causes me to have many more hot flashes than I normally do! But I am not complaining. Flash and I are all set to have a wonderful autumn and winter in there.

                Flash
 


 
I have a huge glass-topped light box in the room so to start, I brought out my box of sheers and donned my respirator and started to use my soldering iron. I had no particular aim in sight, just a wish to see how I could use sheers to create fabric.

              Sheers
 


                Respirator
 


 
Ideally, cutting with a soldering iron needs to be done against a metal template. I have precious few metal ones apart from an elaborate heart wall decoration so I used a section of it and cut out several strings of flowers in various colours. I just wanted to see what they looked like together and to see what happened when they were over-lapped.

                 Metal template
 


             Flowers
 

Then I wondered if I could free-cut flowers? And the answer turned out to be … not very well! I turned round to pin them on my design wall as I worked on more and that was when I saw the art cushion that I needed to finish. I asked myself ‘what if…?’ and before I knew it I had finished the cushion front. I had intended to silhouette some grasses or cow parsley over the top but shaded flowers worked much better. This was a just-by-chance solution to an unresolved problem! Here is the sequence.
                  

          Free-cut flowers
 


              What if?
 


                 Perhaps
 


               Overlaid design
 


             Completed front
 


 
And finally, someone was explaining recently how she had been on a workshop to learn how to use a darning stitch to create a landscape. I was quite intrigued by this and came straight home to try one small enough to make one of my luggage labels. Here it is in progress. It’s not at all easy but small enough to handle and take with me when I go places to sew. I will complete the background and then silhouette a tree in the foreground to cover all the mistakes! I won’t be doing another one!

              Darning a scene
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment