Sunday 6 October 2019

BOG 464

Blog 464
And finally, my room is finished! The design wall has been recovered with thick sheets of polystyrene and a flannelette sheet has been stapled over the top. I won’t be bending lots of pins any more as I used to with the old cork wall. And then, like an artist finding it difficult to start on a new canvas, the bare space was suddenly unnerving so I quickly pinned on some work in progress so it wasn’t so threatening!
 

             Design wall
 

                In progress
 

I have had a busy week with one thing or another so progress on the Xmas wall hanging has been slow until today! I pinned the poinsettia fabric to the RS and sewed all around the petals where I wanted this fabric to go. I also mistakenly sewed round one of the under petals which I want to be a darker red. This wasn’t a problem really as it was just a case of taking out the offending stitches!
               Poinsettia fabric
 
 
 
         Defining the petals
 
 



           Defined WS
 
 

            Defined RS
 

             Corrected and trimmed
 

I used the reverse of the chosen fabric for the under petals so that I didn’t introduce another patterned fabric into the design. I chose to use a free motion method rather than a conventional foot for sewing the shapes. This meant that I didn’t have to rotate and unsettle the background fabric at all during sewing.
                Under petals
 

               Reverse of fabric
 
 
 

             Under petals
 

 
Here is the sequence in building up the rest of the picture. I used a sheer fabric with sparkly stars on for the background and another shiny fabric for the centre of the flower. Note also that I sewed along all the extra lines of the pattern where they radiate from the aura of the candle. This is now ready for the black biased binding.
 

              Aura
 

            Ledge
 

            Background
 

 
        Extra lines
 

 
              Completed picture
 


 

 

                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment