Sunday 20 December 2020

BLOG 527

 

Blog 527

 

An extra gift was needed at the eleventh hour and it needed to be made rapidly! It was for my hair dresser who I value highly. I am not a vain person, more of the practical variety, and anything for a quiet life suits me just fine! But I do appreciate the skills of someone who can tame my exceedingly fine hair. I always wear it short for the least effort and she always manages to sculpt it into some sort of style. I admire her skills and I wish there was a comb just like her fingers which just rake through my hair and make it look wonderful!! I usually make something for her each year because she is interested in crafts and this time I decided to make a cover for a notebook.

 
Notebook

 

I chose a fabric, cut it larger than I needed and then placed it onto a strip of wadding. I did some motorway driving on my sewing machine (flat out and foot down) to make undulating lines of stitch which reflected the colours in the fabric. I am sure it is good for my machine to make it sew like this and afterwards I will treat it to a good oiling!! When I won this machine in competition, I made a book of the stitches and this proved very useful for this exercise.

 
Fabric

 
Threads

 
Stitch

 
Book of stitches

 

Once I was happy with the stitched cover, I added a lining strip in two parts with RS together. This left me with somewhere to turn through which wouldn’t be visible. I trimmed the seam and cut across the corners before turning it through to the RS.

 
Lining strip 1

 
Lining strip 2

 
RS out

 
Decorated front

 

Once this was pressed and the flaps were sewn, it looked great! And at this stage I forgot to take a picture of it. I wrapped it up and gave it to the recipient so there was no ‘after’ picture so I set about making a second one for a birthday present and it is this you see as a completed item.

 
Another book cover

 

As this is my last blog before Xmas, all that remains is for me to wish you all a peaceful and healthy time. In Wales, we only have Christmas Day free from severe lockdown measures. But rather than dwelling on the negatives of this situation, I shall be positive and make the most of what I have and appreciate who I am with. The pressures are off and life is tolerably and enjoyably simple.

 
Patchwork tree

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you a happy Christmas Dilys from Awena

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy Christmas to you too Awena and all the best for 2021. Perhaps Nercwys craft group will get started in the not too distant future. X

    ReplyDelete