Sunday 7 February 2021

BLOG 534

 

Blog 534

 

I am happy to be working on my blog this afternoon because it is distracting me from the fact that later on I am going to the local Rainbow hospital to have my first Covid injection. I am not nervous about the injection itself as I think it is the only way out of this national lockdown gridlock. What I am anxious about is being amongst lots of people again after so many months apart. I do a weekly supermarket shop but this is usually at 7pm when there is virtually no-one there! Life has been pretty much confined to the gentle quietness of home and the natural peacefulness of the surrounding countryside and we have physically seen no-one for ages, which is as it should be.

That said, the Covid situation has given me lots of space to be creative and I appreciate that very much so this week has seen the completion of the quilt Square Dance. I love it a lot and making it was like seeing my whole quilting life in fabrics flash in front of me! I fondly remember all of my fabrics; where I bought them, what I made with them and perhaps who gave them to me as a gift. They are all treasured.

 
Vertical strips

 

The quilted and trimmed vertical strips were joined by a black strip on the RS and the remnants of the prepared scrap strips on the WS. The strips on the WS needed to be closed by hand with this method of construction so I was able to sit in my arm chair of an evening and sew in front of the fire. The elderly cats tend to crowd round on the rare occasions that I sit down so it is the unfortunate downside of being inert! I make sure that I have a good light over my shoulder and I support the weight of the quilt on a lap tray. I have always held the opinion that quilts warm you twice; firstly while you sew them on your lap and secondly when they are on the bed! I have to say that I was toasty warm sewing the seams and the binding.

 

Back strip

 

Pinned

 

Sewing

 

Quality control

 

Another seam

 

Hand sewing

 

A pain in the neck

 

Yet another seam

 

Binding

 

Mitred corner

 

Square Dance front

 

Square Dance reverse

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment