Sunday 14 July 2019

BLOG 452

Blog 452
 
I have made progress with the poppy thread picture this week. I placed it into a Pyrex bowl after trimming away some of the excess Solvy from around the edge. I poured boiling water over it and watched as it dissolved away. I changed the water a couple of times until the Solvy was all gone and then I placed the poppy motif onto kitchen roll and left it to dry naturally.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Trimmed

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Boiling water

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Drying
 
In the meantime, it is worth pointing out that I hate undoing lines of stitches; full stop! But I had to put right the basic error I had made with the scrap quilt (in progress since demonstrating the stitch and flip method at Gresford). So thinking of it as ‘reverse sewing’ changed my attitude towards the project and helped me get on with the job! And what was that basic error? Well, all you have to do is look at the two panels below and it is so obvious!! I can’t believe I made such a basic mistake! I was trying to join together 2 differently constructed blocks but, as one was narrower than the other, there was no way the seams were going line up. I will soon have a pile of strips again and I will work it all out on paper before progressing further. Lesson learned!
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Scrap quilt

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Reverse sewing
 
I needed another cushion front so decided to make one using my free-style technique of ‘painting’ with fabric. I love working freely in this way and, because all my fabrics are ready prepared with a fusible on the back, it requires little preparation on my part. It’s almost like doing a jigsaw and I just start and fill in to the required size on release paper letting the fabric lead the way. I have selected a rich maroon border and I will soon decide what flowers I am going to add to stand out from the background.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

‘Painting’ free style
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Completed


 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Potential border
 
For comparison I have included pictures of another approach to creating a background, this time using 1” background squares. It took ages to construct and wasn’t all that accurate. There is also the bulk of the seam allowances to contend with. I know which method I prefer but I will complete them both as a comparison.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Patchwork ‘painting’



 

 
 
 
 
 
Border fabric
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Completed background
 
And just for the fun of it, I have made a box to hold a very different 70th birthday gift for a friend. He was messing about with a huge trifle at his early party last month. I took a quick succession of photographs and I think they should read as follows:-
1 Look what I found! 2 You don’t think I can do it do you? 3 Well I’m going to give it a damn good try! 4 Let’s get stuck in!!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
70th Birthday gift

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment