Sunday 21 July 2019

BLOG 453

Blog 453
 
I was very pleased with the way the thread poppy looked after it was released from the dissolving layer.  I was so pleased in fact that I decided to do the same with the three other thread flowers that I had in stock; a Daffodil, Rose and Convolvulus. Each flower was on a different type of dissolving layer and it was interesting to compare them. The Daffodil was sewn on Gutterman’s Solvy and when it was dissolved with boiling water, a very dense sticky layer was left around the sides of the glass bowl. I poured it down the drain rather than the sink for fear of clogging up the pipe work and spent a while with hot water and liquid soap removing it.
         Daffodil
 

         Daffodil submerged
 

  
             Daffodil drying
 

 
The Convolvulus was sewn on a disposable bag, like the ones often used in hospital laundries which are thrown into the washing machines alongside soiled bedding. This was much more difficult to remove from the threadwork and needed several rinsings before it disappeared entirely. I again poured the residue water down the drain.
            Convolvulus
 
 

 
          Convolvulus submerged
 
 

              Convolvulus drying
 
The Rose was sewn onto lightweight dissolvable layers and was by far the best of the three. Because it was so thin, it was obviously going to leave less of a residue anyway. I was given this product so I am not sure what it is called but I will be sourcing it for future projects. You can see on all three flowers the effect that results from adding sheers.


             Rose
 

               Rose submerged
 

               Rose drying
 

 
Needless to say, the box of novelty coasters for a 70th birthday (that I showed last week) went down a storm! I have just received pictures of his cake (he trains sheep dogs) and a novelty message which was made for him.  Brilliant! People are so imaginative these days and go that extra mile to make these occasions very special!
 

             Barry’s cake
 

               Barry’s special message
 

 
It was our monthly Chester PsnQs meeting this week and I have been a member there for 33 years. I was asked if I could do them a favour at short notice and fill in for a travelling teacher who couldn’t be there as planned because her husband was having heart surgery. I agreed happily and brought many quilts down from the loft to entertain the assembled members. It is many years since I have shown my quilts and talked about them and I was surprised at how well it was received. All my quilts have stories attached to them and memories sewn into them. They are very special to me and map my development in making quilts over three decades. I hasten to add that it was a one off!

No comments:

Post a Comment