Sunday 8 March 2020

BLOG 486

Blog 486
Another week has passed and for me it started with a day at Suzette’s. I decided to do some felting this time rather than sewing; it was the easiest option. Sewing involves taking my machine out of the sewing table and packing it up along with threads and fabrics, indeed anything that I may need during the course of a sewing day. You never know where the day is going to take you creatively. I have 2 pieces of felt under way at the moment, inspired by the work of Moy Mackay. One was wet felted a while ago and now needs hand and machine stitch work over the top. The other I felted during the day with my embellishing machine; it just makes the process faster. I worked on a strip of wadding as a base but it wasn’t very stable and increased in size as I was working!! That said, I will develop both of them and make cushions or panels for a bag.
 


             Wet felting
 



             Machine felting
 



             Thread structures
 

 

Suzette was preparing samples for a workshop. Bowls, cups and saucers were sewn on a dissolvable medium.
 
This week I went to see the Susie Freeman exhibition at Ruthin Craft Centre; it is about 12 miles away from us and is a great place to visit. This lady was responsible for the ‘Cradle to Grave’ installation in collaboration with Dr Henrietta Lidchi. Together they coined the word ‘Pharmacopoeia’ and together they have come up with something very original combining pharmaceuticals and textiles. It’s amazing! Here are some of the exhibits based on pills/pill cases and mesh pockets.
 




           Exhibition at Ruthin
 



               WOWI 1
 



            WOWI 2 (Waterfall of pill cases)
 



            Detail 1
 



             WOWI 3 (Amount of cigarettes smoked during a pregnancy)
 



           Detail 2
 



               WOWI 4 (Over-garment of pill cases)
 



            Detail 3


 
           WOWI 5 (Contraceptive pills: the possible amount taken from getting married until the 25th wedding anniversary.)

 



              Detail 4
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment