Sunday 29 March 2020

BLOG 489

Blog 489

 
There are new and well used phrases in our language now - ‘social distancing’ and ‘self-isolation’– which are strongly and constantly recommended because of the grave threat of coronavirus. We have been distancing ourselves for a couple of weeks now but on total lockdown for the last week. We are fortunate to be ‘distanced’ anyway because of where our home is situated and we are surrounded by deserted countryside and great walks which makes life easier for us during these trying times. When the sun is shining we are outside knocking the garden into shape; it has never had so much attention so early in the year! Indoors, we both have plenty of hobbies and interests and we both enjoy our own company as well as our time spent together. So far so good but, with the prospect of many more weeks of isolation, I do wonder how we will fare. By nature I am also a sociable creature so I have to resort to chattering more on-line and talking more on the phone. My crafting is a life-saver! There are so many things I can do now in my playroom and I have all the equipment to do it with. I can now try all those techniques I have wanted to do but never had the time; complete all the projects I started and never finished; I can experiment to find out if there is something that will enhance my present way of working. I now have the time and I just hope that I the inclination to use this precious time well, to survive this enforced isolation.
 
 

                Social distancing
 

 Last week I mentioned making a small house block for every day we were in isolation. I tried a couple of blocks with fabric but eventually chose to felt them so that I could be freer with design and depth of colour. I machine-felted several layers of colour, mashing up the fibres so that they mixed and blended. I then added a free-style house on top and added detail with black machine thread. They are 3” when trimmed and will be a pretty reminder of these uncertain times.
 
 

              Felting

 

              Template and layers
 
 


             House 1
 

 


             Stitch detail and trim
 
 


               House 2
 

 

             House 3
 

 
 

             House 4
 


            House 5
 


              House 6
 

 

                House 7
 

 
FABRIC MANIPULATION Part 2
 

Here’s the next instalment of the fabric manipulation project for my friends at the Nercwys craft group.  
 
  
 

    Measure …. and mark 4½” along the diagonal from the centre cross.
 

 

 Stitch …. a small stitch on that mark to anchor the calico layers onto the foundation fabric.
 


 
Lift ….  and fold back the corner point as shown so the raw edges are parallel to the foundation square.
 


 
Repeat …. for the second corner point.
 


 
Adjust …. all the corners in the same way.
 


 
Tack …. to hold the folds in place and press.
 

 
Trim …. away the points as shown to leave a square in line with the foundation fabric.
 
 
 

 
Stage 2 …. Next week the corner squares and border strips will be added.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment