Sunday 7 March 2021

BLOG 538

 

Blog 538

 

This week I decided to battle on with the current scrap quilt project. I’m not usually so focused on advancing one project at a time but for some reason this project provided enough creative interest to motivate me! Part of it was the prospect of using up the remaining bulk of my fabric stash which has been my abiding aim for the past few years. This will be the final scrap quilt I think … (I hope!) The ready prepared rectangles are 2 ½” x 4 ½” and as such they are a versatile shape for many a tile pattern.

The proposed simple lay-out was shown on the blog last week and this is the start of the logical construction. As usual, I laid out a couple of blocks at a time beside my sewing machine and worked using a string-piecing method.

 

Layout 1

 

String piecing

 

Part sewn

 

Outer borders 1

 

Outer borders 2

 

Conveyor belt

 

As usual, my design wall is an integral part of the progress and, as each block was completed, it was pinned there for an over-all impression. And it was at this point that I realised that, if I was intending to do a shaded quilt from dark in the centre to light round the outside, the block was too big for the fabrics that I had to work with. The blocks shown below are in a blended sequence but I didn’t have sufficient in the medium/dark range to go all around the dark centre. It’s time to rethink my method and to assess what I can do with the remaining rectangles.

 

Progress

 

Remaining rectangles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dil, looking good as always. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gwyn good the see you are logging into my blog. X

    ReplyDelete