Sunday 21 March 2021

BLOG 540

 

Blog 540

 

What a lovely week it has been! Although cold, the sun has been shining most days and it has really lifted the spirits (particularly the gin which I am rather partial to!!). It’s the first day of Spring today and Mother Nature is doing her best to confirm it. There’s lots of bird song in the air and the buds and wild flowers are starting to make an appearance and the feeling all-round is that we have got through another winter unscathed. It’s just over a year ago this week that we became aware of the devastating effects of the Covid pandemic and the restrictions it was going to place on our lives. From ‘not having time to do things’ we moved to ‘having all the time in the world to do what we wanted’ and yet I wonder how many took advantage of this situation. Now weekly walks with family or friends have become much anticipated and really precious because nothing can take the place of just being together and having a chat, it’s as simple as that!

My indoor creative time has been spent (almost) completing the scrap quilt which I started at the beginning of lockdown. I used a walking foot and let the sewing machine do the work. All I had to do was battle the bulk of it under the needle. It became less of a fight when I started to roll the edges in. I cut the binding from the same fabric as the back of the quilt and added that. It warms me of an evening when I am hand sewing it down.

 

Machine quilting

 
Walking foot

 
Rolled quilt

 
Adding the border

 
Almost finished

 

On the design wall, I have been playing with the remaining rectangles. I decided to sew two together to make a square with one light and one dark. I set up a production line by my sewing machine with lights on one side and darks on the other and just fed them through using a string piecing method.

 
Rectangles

 

Production line

 
String piecing

 

As I was separating them I placed them in piles with the dark fabric on top. This made it easier to place the squares under the iron and press them from light to dark. I shall carry on doing a few each time I go into my room. The piles of rectangles will diminish and the piles of squares will increase and be ready to use as building blocks for the next Linus quilt(s)

 
Pressing

 
Squares

 

3 comments:

  1. The scrap quilt looks lovely. 'Waste not want not' as the saying goes and look what you've produced from scraps that some people would have binned. Well done. G x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Sis!
    Many many scrap quilts have passed under the sewing machine which just goes to show what a mass of fabric I have accumulated over the years. X

    ReplyDelete