Sunday 11 April 2021

BLOG 543

 



Blog 543

Last week I was proudly saying that I had chosen a lattice fabric for Linus quilt #5. Wrong! As I started to cut and trial more strips, I found that the choice was completely wrong. It was much too busy so it was back to plain black to provide a breathing space between the blocks. I also like to say that this quilt just fell together under my sewing machine but it didn’t! I hadn’t realised that I had mis-cut some of the Batik border fabric and this caused all sorts of problems during construction. ‘Measure twice and cut once’ is sage advice and it is best followed to the whisker when making patchwork quilts!! Eventually I sorted it all out, added corner stones and completed another Linus quilt top.

 

Lattice

 
Corner stones

 
Linus #5

 

The final Linus quilt for this session of foot-down, motorway-driving, machine sewing was made using a gifted pack of Kaffe Fasset fabrics. I don’t have any other fabrics from this range so just needed to use what I had. I found a subtle striped fabric which blended and used that with what scraps I had left over from constructing the squares. Linus quilt top #6 was completed. I am well aware that these 6 quilts now need layering with wadding and a backing before quilting and binding but that will have to wait for another day.


In progress

 
Border strips

 
Linus #6

 

For some light relief, I brought out my Mother’s Day jigsaw puzzle. I was in fear and trembling about the impossibility of the task ahead until I realised that all the pieces were marked on the back. After sorting them into A B C D E and F, it became much easier to construct a sixth of the mandala at a time. It was quick to do but larger than my jigsaw folder so I had to add extensions.

 
Jigsaw

 
Completed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love the quilts Dil, but love the jigsaw too. I bet it took a long time to do but worth it when you see the finished jigsaw. Are you going to frame it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Gwyn
    Jigsaw was logical and quick once I had sorted out the sections. After the photo, it went straight back in the box! X

    ReplyDelete