Sunday 10 March 2019

BLOG 436


Blog 436

For the reasons I mentioned last week, I didn’t like the effect of sewing my squares onto Vilene. I did trial a few ideas for flowers from sample off-cuts and the stitched/soldered sheers gave the best visual appeal. I think I need to go back to my bonded method of creating a colourful surface.




 

 
 
 














      Trial flowers

 There has been an anniversary this week: Tess and Rich celebrated their 12th wedding anniversary. As usual I research what anniversary it is and the 12th is silk or linen. I have silk off-cuts so I made a quick cushion to mark the occasion. I laid silk strips diagonally over a square of wadding and as I rather liked the effect of the frayed edges, I decided to make a feature of them. The first attempt to lay strips onto the wadding was unstable even when pinned so I ironed a sheet of Bondaweb onto the wadding (cotton) and stuck the strips in place. The surface was then covered with vertical lines of black machine decorative stitching before it was turned into a cushion cover.



 
















        Cushion


 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
       Silk off-cuts
 

 

 
 

 
 
 
 
        Strips on wadding
 
 
 



 
 
 
         Strips on bonded wadding
 
 

 



 
 
 
 
 
          Machine stitching
 
 

 



 
 
 
 
       Detail 1
 
 

 



 
 
 
 
        Detail 2
 


 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
           Border fabric
 

 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
           Completed cushion

 I used the technique of image transfer (learned from Suzette Smart) to make the latest luggage label for my collection…... And it reminds me that we need to put the camera in our bird box as spring is not so far away (not that you would know it today as snow is lying on the paddock as I write!)
 
 




 


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
           Image transfer
 

 



 
 
 
       Label collection

No comments:

Post a Comment