Sunday 17 March 2019

BLOG 437

Blog 437
 
This past week I have continued to explore other ways of producing a background for applique, other than by patchwork. The starting point of this voyage of discovery was a panel I made a couple of weeks ago using an iron-on Vilene base. This method was accurate but it added more bulk to the seams and I didn’t like the chunkiness of it.
 
 
             Patchwork with Vilene
 
Last week I created a background using diagonally placed silk off-cuts to make a cushion. This is method produced a very colourful and rich background.


            Silk strips
 
I made a panel in a method I devised many years ago using bonded strips and squares. This lies very flat but always requires a lot of stitching over the surface to hold down the fabric strips.


           Bonded surface
 
 
This time I am going to cut larger squares of ready bonded fabric to see where this takes me. I chose a small collection of colourful fabrics from my stash and ironed them onto Bondaweb. I made sure that they over-lapped ever so slightly to protect the iron.
 

 


            Fabrics
 
 
 

          Ironing onto Bondaweb
 
 
 


          Overlapped fabrics
 
 
 

             Completed process
 
After extensive ironing, I removed the paper in one piece to give me a base to work on. On removal from the fusible, the fabrics were stuck to one another and all it required was a gentle tug to separate them. The edges that over-lapped were without fusible and these were trimmed off.
 
 


           Removing the paper backing
 
 
 
 

           Release paper and bonded fabric
 
 

            Overlapped edges
 
 

            Trimming
 
 

            Untidy edges
 
 
I realised after a few cuts that my pinked rotary blade wasn’t cutting cleanly so, in the absence of a new similar blade, I transferred to a fluted blade.


 
 

           Pinked and fluted blades
 
I decided on this occasion to cut 2” squares and to do this I used an old cutting mat which I keep specifically for these cutters and also for cutting wadding. I laid the fabric on the mat, lining it up with the marked lines. I used a ruler, not as an edge to cut along (these blades would chip the ruler), but as a guide line (these speciality cutters are wider than a straight cutter so they are easier to control when following a line). I cut lines first and then across the lines into squares. All the off-cuts were collected to be used on other projects.
 


         Cutting into squares
 
 

              Colour palette
 
 

              Off-cuts
 
Before starting to play, I sorted the squares in to similar colours and hues. Now I have to decide how to work with them!
 


          Sorted squares 
 
 
 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment