Sunday 24 March 2019

BLOG 438

Blog 438
 
My starting point this week was the palette that I had created from squares last week. I decided that the lightest square was the best one to get me going and I put it in the middle of the release paper (from the Bondaweb). I started to overlap and stagger the squares but they quickly started to go awry so I drew vertical lines on the paper as a guideline to help with the positioning. The squares are 2” so I drew the lines 1 ½” apart to accommodate the over-lap.
 
 
            Colour palette
 
 


           Lightest square
 
 


I continued to blend and move the colours upwards, moving from yellow into dark reds, light to dark. I also noted that there was a collection of blues so I worked separately to develop these. (Sorry about the blurred images!)
                Light to dark yellow to red
 
 
 
 


              Blues
 
 


After working a bit on the blues and yellow/reds separately, I combined them with the general aim of avoiding any strong lines where one colour moved into another.
 
 
 
 
 
           Combined colours
 
 
 
And then I set about developing the colourwash, overlapping the edges of the squares as I progressed. You will notice that I have staggered the squares vertically. And hopefully you will see that the wavy edges of the squares help to blend the colours more easily.
 

 




                 
           Development
 
Here is the completed colourwash still on the release paper where it cooled down thoroughly before I attempted to remove it from the paper. 
 
 
 


               Completed picture
 
 
Bali’s and Batiks are my preferred fabrics because of their intense colour and because they are less likely to fray due to them being tightly woven. But I also have a collection of Heidi Stoll-Weber dyed fabrics and I tried to incorporate these in the design. They were rejected resoundingly because they were dull and allowed for little movement of colour.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment