Sunday 23 May 2021

BLOG 549

 

Blog 549

  

There’s a lot on my design wall to catch up on but this week I changed tack completely to make a floor quilt for a baby which is due at the end of this month.

 

Design wall

 

On line, I found a variety pack of children’s fabrics, postage free, so I ordered them and was perplexed to find that they were coming all the way from China! I needn’t have worried about the distance travelled because they were delivered within 5 days. Just how they do it so cheaply and so quickly I do not know. Anyway, after opening the packet I saw straight away that the squares were not accurate so I had to set about reducing them all from an inaccurate 4” to 3 ¾”. I bordered each square with a bright plain fabric and then chose a multi-coloured batik to make the lattice strips. I added corners stones of the plain fabrics to unify the over-all look. Here’s the sequence.

 
Variety pack

 
Bordered

 

 
Lattice

 
Lattice and corner stones

 
String piecing

 Lattices attached

 
Completed top

 

For my birthday last month I got a mammoth jigsaw. I have never attempted one so big! I have had smaller ones (1000 pieces) made by this designer (Jan Van Haasteren) before and they are great fun to do. There isn’t an inch of space that isn’t full of detail and the same characters always appear in each jigsaw. With so much rain this week I have made a cautious start; I am obsessed!

 
Mammoth jigsaw

 
Characters

 
Detail

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment