Sunday 29 May 2011

BLOG 52

I have made good progress with the baby quilt this week, finishing the centre and adding the borders. Here is the top from the right side and the wrong side. On the WS the seam allowances have been pressed consistently in the same direction; this will be helpful when I get to the quilting stage.

Right side

Wrong side

The borders are added to extend the size and to frame the centre. I have used the remaining rainbow fabric to cut 1” strips and added 2” strips of the cream. After an accurate ¼” seam allowance is sewn, the raw edges should meet on the WS.

Border strips, WS and RS

I decided to mitre the corners so I needed to make sure that all 4 borders strips extended about 5” beyond the corners. When sewing the border strips, I started ¼” in from one corner and finished ¼” from the other corner.

(NB This exact ¼” gap at the beginning and the end allows the strips to overlap each other at the corners and leaves just room to manoeuvre them to create the mitre.)

Overlapped corners

Prepared mitre

The top strip is turned under until the raw edges of the top strip lie parallel with those of the bottom strip. Once pressed, the mitre is established. There are 2 ways to sew a mitre. You can use a ruler and water-erasable marker to define the creased line on the WS and sew it by machine. The excess fabric is trimmed away to leave a ¼” seam allowance.

Marking the seam

Sewing the seam

Or, and this is my preferred method, you can sew it by hand using a matching thread and concealed stitch from the RS. Trim away the excess fabric and iron the seam open. The completed top is ready for quilting now.

Appliquéing the mitre

On Monday I went to Castle Court Quilters to attend the monthly machine embroidery class with Suzette. This was the second part of a box-making workshop so, as I had missed the first part, I did my own thing, just happy to have made the space for a day’s sewing. I chose Hydrangeas as a theme and used various fabrics and threads to make a sewing case. These make lovely gifts and it is something I have done before. The colours of Primulas inspired a previous sample.


Embroidery Detail

Primula sewing case

No comments:

Post a Comment