Sunday, 18 February 2018

BLOG 384


BLOG 384
 
Last week we enjoyed our pancakes on Tuesday and saw the start of Lent on Wednesday. Ever since I was a little girl at Sunday school, I have given up something for the 6 weeks leading up to Easter and this year is no exception. But this year, as well as giving something up, I have also decided to take something on! I am going to make a Linus quilt for each week of Lent so that someone will benefit from my efforts somewhere along the line. The first quilt started with a treasured cat fabric which I have had for many years, always thinking I would make something really special with it. But sometimes we can get too fixated on a fabric believing it is too good to use and then, before you know it, it has gone out of fashion and it looks dated. And you then wonder why you bought it in the first place! I have many fabrics like that believe me. So the message here is to use and enjoy your fabrics before they get ‘bin-bagged’ by the family!

 1 PATCHWORK CAT QUILT
This was constructed using simple patchwork technique. I cut 6 ½” squares (because I have a 6 ½” ruler and it was easy to cut!) from both the cat fabric and a complementary batik and drew a rough plan of what I wanted to achieve.


              Cat fabric


              6 ½” squares


              Rough plan
I sewed the blocks together in pairs, making sure that 12 had the cat on the right hand side and 9 had the cat on the left hand side. These were then sewn together to make rows of 6 squares.



             Sewing sequence 1


             Sewing sequence 2


            2 Rows
I pinned at the seams, making sure that they butted up against one another and sewed the rows together to construct the quilt top. Job done!



            Pin the seams
 



              Quilt top
I attended a willow weaving workshop a few days ago; this was something I have always wanted to have a go at. Really, I want a flock of sheep for our paddock but, having had a go at a hare, the sheep are not going to happen! The course was run at Ruthin Craft Centre by Juliette Hamilton and she was a very good teacher. It was hands-on, full-on and we worked non-stop.  We all moved forward together at each stage and every one of us walked out with a hare. Impressive! I even followed one home in a car; it was sitting in the passenger seat looking out of the window! My Hare Flick (‘Allo ‘Allo) will go out into the garden when the weather improves and after it has been treated.



             Hare Flick


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday, 11 February 2018

BLOG 383


BLOG 383


This week I have been making some poppies which will go towards the display in the Gresford show this year. We have all been asked to contribute poppies, making them in whatever medium we choose. We are aiming for 500 and they are starting to trickle in. Some have been knitted, some crocheted but many have been sewn. Someone in the morning group (Lorna?) brought in a batch she had made using the British Legion poppy. This was such a simple approach and it was very effective too. It suddenly made the task less daunting and became do-able for me!

            British Legion poppy
I made a template from the original poppy and cut out several and added some slightly larger red circles, and black circles for the centre.



             Pattern pieces
As I wanted the flower to appear dimensional, I cut into the top shaped red piece on either side of the centre. This allowed me to over-lap the cut edges and my first line of sewing was across them to hold them in place on the underneath red circle.



           Making the tuck
The black circle was placed in the centre and I sewed short lines on the vertical, the horizontal and both diagonals to hold it down. There is a lot of bulk under the machine foot so these stabilising rows helped to squash it all down.



            Securing the centre


             Stabilising rows
Then it was a case of some scribbles radiating from the centre to complete the poppies.  Simple really but very effective. To finish we were asked to sew safety pins onto the back so that it will make it easier to attach them to a background for a display purposes. Job done!



              Finished poppy
I also made some more of my daily squares. In truth, I am generally playing catch up on this project but I am bang up to date now thankfully. They are sewn onto a heavy interfacing with a meandering stitch and then cut finally to 3½” square.





 
              Tree motif

 
Sewn Squares
 
                
               Trimming
 



            Sewn squares

                   Other motifs
 


 

 

 

 

 

Sunday, 4 February 2018

BLOG 382


BLOG 382

And for your delight and delectation this week, I am posting pictures of Llangollen Quiltfest which is on in the Royal Pavilion and the Museum, 1st to 28th Feb, 10am to 4pm. It is a wonderful display of quilts from the members of the Quilters’ Guild, Region 13. The variety is amazing from traditional to contemporary and it is very inspirational. Try and make an effort to see this exhibition, it is well worth enjoying these quilts ‘in the flesh’ as it were! Here is small selection:-

            1
 
 
   
                  2

 
 



 

















     3

              4


                                
                 5
 
 

              6     

            7


              8



                9 
 
 



              10



            11



                           
                12 
 
 
 



                13



              14



                15 
 
 

 



          16

                                                                                                                                                                           
 

               17