Sunday 12 June 2011

BLOG 54

On June 4th, I spent the day as one of the demonstrators at Gresford for Annual Quilting Day. I chose to devote the day to making Olympic Pennants. The organisers of the Cultural Olympiad are trying to amass 14,000 pennants so that they can give one to each athlete participating in the London Olympic and Para Olympic games. I designed a simple motif with large shapes and managed to make 6 using the 2-4-1 method from my latest book ‘Dual Image Appliqué’.

2-4-1 Pennants

More pennants

Even more pennants

Rather than prepare a normal binding, I used a quick fused method to complete them. Ready-fused fabric was cut into 1”strips, straight on one edge and fluted on the other. These were ironed around the edges to give an attractive no-sew finish, only suitable for wall hangings where no laundering is anticipated.

Quick fused binding

My on-going project this week has been layering the baby quilt ready for machine quilting. After pressing the backing fabric, I place it RS down onto a carpet. I pin the edges firmly into the carpet to keep the fabric taut, without stretching it.

Backing fabric

The cotton wadding (batting) goes onto the backing, with the pressed quilt top on top to complete the quilt sandwich. I use safety pins all around the edge first to hold the layers taut and then I pin at 6” intervals. For machine quilting, basting the layers would not be advisable as the stitches can catch on the machine foot and be difficult to remove if sewn over.

Pinning the layers

For speed, I have decided to work in rows across and down the quilt with a multicoloured thread. I am sewing straight stitches on the striped fabric to divide it into 9 squares and decorative stitches on the 9-patch to add interest. I need to complete this quilt soon and send it off!

Quilting detail

I started this blog with a mention of Gresford and I am going to finish it in the same place. Tomorrow I will be involved with a team of dedicated workers putting up our annual display of work in All Saints church at Gresford. Called the ‘Festival of Crafts’ this exhibition can be viewed daily from June 14th – 17th; Tues to Thurs 10:30 to 8:00 and Fri 10:30 to 6:00. Admission is £2:50 and as well as crafts from our group, there will be exhibits from the Wrexham quilting circle, Yale College diploma students, Gresford art group and the British Woodcarvers Association. The church, fascinating in its own right, will be full of craft and colour, with lots of quilts. If you are in the region, take the time to come and see for yourself! You will not be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment