Sunday 24 July 2011

BLOG 60

Continuing with the floral wall hanging from Jenny Robert’s workshop, the quilted panel is now in place and the flowers are fused ready for machine sewing. Because white fabric can ghost the colours underneath, I decided to fuse 2 layers together before fusing the patterns onto the back to cut it out. Fusing has helped to make the white more solid.

Fused shapes

Note the subtle difference between the sewn flower on the left and the shaded flower on the right. Jenny suggested we did this with watercolour pencils to add depth.

Before shading

After shading

The edges and detail were sewn with a variegated cotton thread and a free-motion technique. Traditionally the feed-dogs are lowered (or covered) for free motion stitching but I prefer to leave them up. Doing it that way provides gentle friction underneath the fabric but it doesn’t affect the direction of the sewing. It helps with control and prevents the fabric from moving too rapidly under the needle.

Before sewing

The fabric needs to be gripped securely and I generally use lightweight gardening gloves covered with plastic dots. They are cheap and serve the purpose well.

Completed block

All I have to do now is to find an imaginative way to complete the project!

There is one more small hanging that I would like to complete next. I know what I want to do with it and I will explain about it next time.

Small wall hanging

Yesterday I was delighted to be able to wear my engagement ring again after having it enlarged. I haven’t worn it for years and, if I was really honest, I hadn’t a clue where it was hidden until it came to light last week. But finding it reminded me of the time we bought it in Bangkok.

Engagement ring

Many years ago Roger and I both worked on the tiny island of Tarawa, in the middle of the S Pacific. We decided to marry there and, as there was nowhere to buy such a thing as an engagement ring, I was promised one on our journey home. So there we were in a reputable jewellers in Bangkok, newly arrived and excited. I was shown trays and trays of rings and I eventually selected 12 that I really liked, in order to make the final decision. I loved the one I eventually chose, totally impractical but the colour of the large amethyst and the decorative setting just delighted me. We were unaware of the exchange rates as we paid many hundreds of bahts for the ring and we left the shop impoverished but happy. Imagine Roger’s delight and eventual embarrassment when, on converting the price to sterling, he discovered it only cost £7:00! I didn’t care at all; I just loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment