Sunday 14 August 2011

BLOG 63


This is a rapid posting as I have just returned from a few days away but what a week I have had!

The down side first: My mother fell and broke her hip! The duty doctor examined her, said it wasn’t broken and recommended painkillers, but as my mother was in so much discomfort, a second opinion was sought 2 days later. An x-ray was done, just to be on the safe side, and it showed that it was indeed broken. So we have had the build up to the operation, many tests and thankfully a successful outcome. She is not out of the woods yet but at least she is on the right side of the operation.

Next the upside: Regular readers may recall an earlier blog where I mentioned that I was part of a group who got together to make a quilt that was the antidote to the swathes of Jelly Roll quilts we had just seen at the Festival of Quilts 2009. Last year we exhibited this ‘masterpiece’ at the Festival of Quilts and also at the Great British Quilt show in Harrogate where it won a first. It featured Forward roll, Spring roll, Electoral roll, Fig roll, Bog roll, Swiss roll, Sausage roll and Jewellery roll. It was fun to do, we bonded well as a group and we helped each other every step of the way.

Beyond the Jelly Roll

Our next project was discreetly mentioned way back in Blog 48, and a couple of sneak previews were shown. (It could have been rotary cutters at dawn for that indiscretion but, as the designer, they had to let me stay!)

Sneak preview 1

Sneak preview 2

I have just returned from the Festival of Quilts where our finished quilt, ‘Comparethequilt.com’, won the group quilt section with a generous prize of £1000. We are ecstatic! But more of this later when I have caught my breath.

Kat with a pearl earing

No comments:

Post a Comment