Sunday 19 February 2012

BLOG 90


Today, as a snow storm lashes across the landscape, it is
just lovely being inside surrounded by quilts, cushions and colour. The log
fire is glowing, the cat is purring softly on the lap of a gently snoring ‘-but-I-was-watching-that!’
husband in front of the snooker (it would send me to sleep too!), and all’s
well with my world. Our granddaughter has been over for a play in the snow so
thank goodness I bought a sledge instead of the snow shovel I went out to
purchase a while ago, it is much more fun!
The past week for me has been dominated by the exhibition of
my Garden Gates in the museum in Llangollen. They were hung as Magie Relph’s
quilts were being taken down, so the process of mounting my exhibition took less
than an hour. Llangollen is a charming town on the banks of the River Dee with
much of interest for the visitor. Here is what the official website says about
it:

Llangollen has many natural
wonders. There are mountains and white water rivers, including the spectacular
River Dee canals with horse-drawn boats, The Llangollen Steam Railway with
steam trains that chug along the Dee Valley, the Horseshoe Pass, the Horseshoe
Falls and all in easy reach of Chester and Wrexham. Famous structures, gardens
and historic buildings abound, Plas Newydd, home to The Ladies of Llangollen,
numerous National Trust properties surround the town and we have the highest
and longest aqueduct on the canal system. The Pontcysyllte aqueduct was built
by Thomas Telford 200 years ago, over a 1000 feet long and standing 126 feet
above the river Dee which is now a world Heritage Site.
But my reason for referring to Llangollen is to highlight my exhibition which will be
on until the end of March, and I am very proud to recommend it. The small museum
is just off the main street, in a purpose built many-sided building with an upstairs
gallery. The Gate quilts make a lovely collection and here are the pictures to entice
you to visit it if you can!




Right side



Left side


Illuminated

(Please note the sheep made from colourful plastic bags in the
foreground. I love it, a fancy a flock of them in our paddock!)


Close up


Detail


Sashiko Gate

No comments:

Post a Comment