Sunday 20 January 2013

BLOG 132


This week I have been concentrating on making a ‘Tummy-time’ Quilt for a new Grand-niece, Grace Elizabeth, who was born just before Christmas. As she was a Christmas baby, I immediately sent off a Christmas nativity wall hanging. I thought that it could be brought out each year at the time of her birthday and, as it was relevant to the season, it could become part of the decorations too. I was duly thanked for it by her Mum, saying it would be great for tummy-time as the colours were so bright (eek!). So I deemed such a quilt was what was required and have set about making one for her for her christening next month.

I have been playing lately with fusible patchwork, using a light layer of Vilene to stick the squares onto, before sewing with a ¼”seam. It is a very accurate way of working and I started with checker board blocks in black and a colour (seen on the left). So, as it was current in my mind, the starting point for this quilt is the same block on point as seen on the right. As there is a Vilene layer, it is advisable to machine quilt the blocks.
 

 

                                    Checkerboard blocks

This smaller quilt block measures only 7 ¼” and I have quilted it already through a batting and a backing layer. I intend to join the blocks after the quilting is done.

 

 

                                               Quilted block
In between each such block, I want to add a little square of applique and this is what I am working on at present. Because it is such a small block, I am not going to fiddle with hand applique. I am going to do this by machine using a template-free method, one of several I described in detail in my book ‘At Play with Applique’ (published by C&T). But first I need to draw a pattern to fit the block; a teddy seems appropriate.
 

 

                            Pencil pattern

I then fine-tune the design and ink in the lines, erasing any irrelevant pencil lines
 

 

                                           Inked pattern
 

Next I am going to trace this onto layer of fine calico (muslin). This is an extra layer to the block (it will balance with the Vilene layer on the patchwork blocks), but it is a good way to transfer a pattern onto the back of a block for machining.

 

 

                                            Trace onto calico

The calico is placed onto the back of a square of batting, picture side up, and the background to the applique is placed RS up on the other side of the batting (ie three layers with the batting in the middle). I am going to use a multi-coloured fabric to make the teddy so I have put an invisible thread onto the spool and a 50 weight thread on the bobbin. (Using invisible thread means that it will blend with all the fabric colours and this thread works better on the spool on some machines.)
 

 

                                               Three layers

There are four easy steps: PLACE BASTE TRIM SEW

PLACE: I start with the ears and place the fabric RS up on the unmarked front of the block, matching the straight grains of both fabrics. I secure with pins.

 
 

                                     PLACE the fabric

 BASTE: From the back where I can see the pattern, I use a free-machine stitch to baste all-round both ears.


 

                                  BASTE the shapes
TRIM: On the RS, I trim away the excess fabric to leave the two ears.

 
 

                                  TRIM away the excess

 Continue with these 3 steps until you have built up the complete design.

*Always put your fabric RS up on the front.

*Always baste all round each shape from the back where you can see the pattern.

*Where shapes over-lap, you will sew along shared lines twice.

When all the shapes have been added, the final step of sewing will be done.
 

 

                                                       Baste


 

                                                      Trim

 
 

                                        Little Ted 4 ½”

No comments:

Post a Comment