Sunday 17 November 2013

BLOG 174



I have pressed on with the children’s string quilt, teaching the technique at the Gresford group this week. Several attended the demonstration with enthusiasm but it will be interesting to see how many were inspired to have a go. I expect that the few weeks before Christmas is not the best time to start a quilt but, as a quilt is usually a long term project, there’s nothing to stop them from getting started. Remember that a journey starts with the first step….. and a quilt starts with thefirst stitch.

I too decided to embark on a creative journey this week. I am a constant pencil doodler and my doodles usually consist of making shapes and then colouring them in a positive/negative way, as can be seen below. I wondered if I could take one of my doodles and interpret it in fabric. The process had to be enjoyable to encourage me to continue.

                                               Doodle


Usually, I leap straight into working with fabric but this time, because of the complexity of the design, I decided to work the idea out with coloured paper first. I drew my design onto a sheet of card using nothing more than a compass, drinks mat and pencil.

                                  Design onto paper

I then placed 3 coloured sheets, one on top of another, and secured them for cutting out. Why 3 sheets? I don’t really know but it just seemed to be a good idea at the time.

                                              3 sheets


I cut out the individual pattern pieces and placed them back in their sequences.

                                      Pattern pieces

Then came the fun bit (allegedly!) where I reassembled the pieces so that no adjacent shapes were the same colour (perhaps I did 3 sheets for added interest and variety!)

                              Re-assembled pattern


Then I stepped back, like a designer ought to do, to assess what I had done. It didn’t ignite any enthusiasm in me or inspire me to continue; in fact I couldn’t make head or tail of it. I also concluded that it would be a very difficult pattern to use as there are many curved edges. Back to the drawing board!

So I did what I usually do when I hit a mental barrier; I returned to something I knew I could do and which I really enjoy doing: namely using fabric as a paint palette. I have many ready-fused and pinked strips left over from previous projects so I got them out and started to explore making squares with a vertical line, rather than my preferred diagonal line. I drew several 4 ½” squares onto baking parchment and started to overlap the strips and bond them with the iron.

                                              First strip

Initially, I worked 4 squares at a time, trying to get a gentle movement of colour from one end to the next. Once cooled, they are lifted from the parchment and cut into accurate 4 ½” squares.

                                          First 4 squares

As I trimmed each square I placed it onto the design wall trying out different lay-outs, alternating the direction and just generally ‘playing’.

                              Squares on the design wall

This is what I came up with over the next few days. It is 7 squares across by 6 down but, as yet, I don’t know what I am going to do with it. Perhaps it is the start of a series; perhaps it will be a ‘play’ piece which I can use to explore an idea. Again, who knows, I certainly don’t. All I know is that I felt compelled to use the fabric and to see where it led me.

                                          Completed piece


Here’s my latest art project. We had to compose a still life using torn paper from colour supplement magazines.

                          Paper still life

It was great fun and very freeing and, as usual, my mind starts to wonder if it could be done if fabric. Of course it can, I have done it many times before!

                                          Fabric still life

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment