Sunday 26 January 2014

BLOG 184


Once I started along the creative pathway on the horse wall hanging, I really needed to see it through to the end. My thinking was that if it didn’t work, I would need to make something else. Perish the thought! But since last week, visual problems have been solved and progress has been good. Because I have chosen to do raw edge applique, I have had to do copious free-motion quilting in order to prevent further fraying. Generally, I used light threads on light fabric, medium on medium and dark on dark.

 
                                   Free motion quilting

 I decided to quilt the background patchwork squares in vertical and horizontal lines down the middle of the 1 ½” squares, thus fragmenting the squares. The severity of the straight grid contrasted well with the organic free motion quilting. I used a walking foot and medium red thread.

                                            Quilting lines


I purchased a vibrant red batik from a local shop and added 4” mitred borders. To do this, I placed one strip RS down along the edge, holding it in place with pins that were placed at right angles to the edge for easy removal. I also made sure that there was an extra 5” (for 4” strip) of fabric beyond the corner to make the mitre.

                                             Border strip


I started sewing the seam ¼” in from the corner with a couple of secure stitches and I stopped sewing ¼” in from the other corner with a couple of secure stitches.

 
                           ¼” in from the corner

 I repeated this process for all of the borders so that all the strips were free at the corners.

                                            Corners free


On the ironing board, I folded the top strip underneath itself, so that its raw edges were level with those of the strip underneath. This created a perfect mitre on the corner.

                             Fold under the top strip

I pressed the fold to sharpen it and pinned it in place. I repeated the process for the other corners.

 
 
 
 
                                               Press and pin

 
On the sewing machine I sewed a line of stitches right on the fold to hold it in place. I then trimmed away the excess fabric from underneath the corner. The wall hanging was trimmed to make it 36” square as required for the challenge.

 
                                           Trimmed edges

 A narrow binding was applied and a 4” sleeve sewn onto the back. Just three things left now; a signature, a touch of white to the horse’s eye to bring him to life and a title (the hardest part!)

 
                                                  Eyes

 
                                               Completed wall hanging

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment