Sunday 9 February 2014

BLOG 186

 

Scrappy Trip Round the World

I made 16 blocks quite quickly using the speed method that I outlined last week and I ironed the seam allowances all in the same direction on the back. But, when I tried to join 2 such blocks, it seemed impossible to butt the seams together which is my preferred way of sewing (rather than ironing the seams open) . So I thought about it again and decided to add a 1 ½” joining strip as an easier option, with a 2 ½” border. By this stage I think that I had already decided that I didn’t want to make this quilt on a larger scale.  This project will now be put to one side, awaiting other such ‘get it out of my system’ projects, and given eventually to the Linus Quilt Project. The process has had a couple of benefits however; the first is that I have made a modest impact into my stash of patterned Batik fabrics and the second is that it has shown me that I can use these patterned fabrics to create value (lightness and darkness). I like the vitality of the Batiks but not this particular pattern so I have decided to use them to make another individual string quilt. Watch this space as they say!

                                           Scrappy Trip

I need now to make progress on my thread work which I am going to use with the painterly quilt block. Here’s a reminder of the poinsettia which I have made for the December block.

                                              Poinsettia


And here’s a reminder of the process. Fragments of sheers and fibres are trapped in a frame between 2 layers of Super Solvy. Naturally at this stage I have chosen my colour scheme as it is this that influences my choices of sheers.

                                 Super Solvy and fibres

                                               Detail

Then I need to sort out threads in my chosen colours.

                               Painting with thread

I do some basic drawings by way of research to familiarise myself with the shape of my chosen flowers and leaves. I then make a sketch about the size of the area I want to replicate and place it beside my sewing machine for reference.

                                     Reference material

And this is what I created.  I really like the way the sheers extend beyond the thread work and I hope to make it a feature within the context of the quilt.

                                                    Pansies

So far I have completed 4 such thread pictures and here they are. I am really loving the process and enjoying the results. I’m still not sure where I go from here but, as there are 8 more to do, I don’t have to make any more decisions yet. I will have some serious thinking time as I sew.

                                      Thread flowers

I taught a ‘String of Diamonds’ workshop at Quiltfest in Llangollen yesterday. It wasn’t well attended but for those there, it was a productive day. Thanks to Carol, Marion, Diane and Nicky for your company and thanks for the pics Jackie H. (Note to self: always take you camera with you!!)

                                      Strips onto paper

                              Building blocks


ASIDE: I showed my horse quilt at Gresford craft group and a lady (she’ll be flattered with that!) came up afterwards to ask what sort of horse it was!!! ‘Sort of horse’ ... that never crossed my mind! To me it was a stylised design that I had drawn but I have been told on authority, by she who knows, that it is a Welsh Cob!! I haven’t settled on a name yet but it is the spit and image of her Welsh Cob called Holly!

No comments:

Post a Comment