Sunday 6 July 2014

BLOG 205

 

This week I have been making a small quilt, A4 size and unfinished, which has to be recognisable as my work. Many ‘names’ in the quilting world have been invited to donate such pieces to the QG for a fundraising drive at the FOQ. They will all be priced at £25:00 and it is an opportunity for others to own small quilts by well-known quilters in the UK. My starting point was a sample of a garden gate which I had once drawn by machine with variegated thread.

                              Thread gate

I decided to do a darker version of a thread gate but when I soaked it to remove the soluble medium, it all but fell apart because many of the elements were unconnected! I needed to think more about this so I decided to make a background garden first.

                                        Disastrous gate


This garden started with a rough outline on A$ paper.

                            Outline sketch


The various elements of the garden were traced onto the release paper from Bondaweb.

                          
                                     Tracings

 I found a box of ready-bonded off-cuts from previous projects and this became my palette.

                                     Palette


I cut out and placed the tracing of the pathway onto a Teflon strip and ironed over-lapping strips onto it to cover the whole shape, just beyond the traced lines.

 
                             Overlapping strips

                           Completed pathway


I continued to work shape by shape, placing them in situ as they were completed.

                         Building up the design

                                 More shapes

 I auditioned 2 fabrics for the sky and went with the rosier colours. Next week I will show you how I resolved the gate problem.

                                           Sky 1

                             Sky 2


I have been laundering some of my early utility quilts ready for selling. They looked lovely on the washing line, blowing in the warm breezes of last week. Some have been sold already.

                                    Quilts 1

If anyone wants to buy either of the quilts below, for £30 each and postage, email me for more information!

                                         Quilts 2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment