Sunday 21 September 2014

BLOG 215

 

I have settled back into the rhythm of quilt making once again, perhaps energised after my holiday and certainly benefitting from a break from routine. So it’s ‘onwards and upwards’ … or perhaps ‘onwards and seam-wards’ in an effort to get this quilt completed.


LADY OF THE LAKE
Last week I showed the extra fat quarters to be included in the remaining blocks, and I also showed the selected infill fabric for around the edge. I completed the remaining blocks and placed them randomly throughout the quilt.

                         Remaining blocks
 

On my design wall I reviewed the blocks, making sure that no repeat fabrics were next door to one another.

                         Design wall


Before constructing the blocks into diagonal lines (NW to SE), I needed to work out the size of the infill triangles around the edge. Now I could say that I used Pythagoras’s theorem, citing that ‘in a right-angled triangle, the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides’ but no, I have a clever triangular ruler that tells me the size I need!!

ASIDE: My maths teacher, Mr Denny, would be so proud of me! I couldn’t see the point in geometry and algebra at school, always questioning how it was going to be relevant to my adult life. I tended to be disruptive, just trying to extract as much mirth as possible from the lessons. But that was ‘life before patchwork’ and now I can’t tell you how many times I have use geometry particulalrly to calculate sizes and construct shapes.  

These infill triangles are going to straighten the edges of the quilt and it is very important that the straight grain of the fabric is on the long side of the triangle. A bias edge around the quilt would be disastrous and lead to stretching and distortion. I used an old fabric as a sample and cut a 12 ½” square which I then cut on both diagonals to give me 4 equal triangles with the straight edges on the long sides.

              Sample square

 I auditioned it up against the edge of the block and saw that it fitted accurately but it left no wriggle room.

                           Sample infill triangle


I therefore decided to cut 13” squares for comfort. I straightened the edge of the newly acquired fabric (no I never wash fabrics before I use them!) and cut out 13” squares. I strongly recommend the right tools for the job in hand; it makes life so much easier. I used a 24”ruler to straighten the edge (note how a black vertical line on the ruler lies against the selvedge) and a 16 ½” square ruler to cut the square.

                              Trim the edge

                                 Cut the square
 

Cut across the diagonals (bias of the fabric) to give 4 triangles with the straight grain going around the outside edge.

                                  4 triangles


Join the quilt blocks together on the diagonal to make lines and add an infill triangle to each end. Make sure the triangle is configured correctly for its position around the edge.

                                  13” triangle

                          Comfortable over-lap


For the corner squares the straight grains need to be at right angles to one another so I cut two 7” squares and divided them across just 1 diagonal.  These were added to the four corners.

                              Corner triangles


And before you know it you have a quilt top! Here it is on the new bed. There is some way to go yet with borders and quilting, but I love the look so far.

                                  First 2 rows

                                        Trying for size

        
                                          New bed

                                      New quilt almost

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment