Sunday 11 January 2015

BLOG 230


BLOG 230 January 11th 2015

 

This past week I have continued to work fairly steadily, happily putting in time on some projects that needed attention. A mini quilt is required for a block that I am doing for competition so, because I have been working with fusible, synthetics, sheers and a soldering iron, I decided to use this method. You will see that I have formalised the squares to make them look like a sampler quilt. I have yet to do the soldering.


                                         Sampler quilt

                                                Detail 1

                                                    Detail 2


I needed to finish the exhibition piece for Region 13 of the Quilters’ Guild so I can hand it over to the organisers at Gresford on Tuesday; this wall hanging will hang in Quiltfest in Llangollen next month. I have made several ‘techni-labels’ now and I am attaching them to the ready quilted surface with embroidery thread. The ‘techni-labels’ below show stained glass, shadow quilting and a texture surface (roving, scrim, Angelina fibres and thread). I think I need one or two more labels to complete this piece, as well as a 4” sleeve on the back, and perhaps some writing too.

                                         Techni-labels

                       Region 13 Wall hanging


Another piece of work has been resurrected from the depth s of the craft room. It is the calendar quilt that I put it away in disgust last autumn because I had fused and soldered a motif on the wrong corner of the block. I have now removed part of the motif (second block down on RS) and I need to see if I have the same fabrics to affect a repair.

                                        Before repair

                                        After repair

 
                             Thread flowers

 
On paper, I have roughly drafted a couple of layouts to see which I prefer. I think the one on the RS is winning at the moment. This choice will influence where I position the thread flowers and where I sew and solder the detailed corners.

 
 
                
                           Possible layouts

 I hope you have a good sewing week yourselves; why don’t you send me a picture of what you have been doing. It’s good to share.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment