Sunday 8 February 2015

BLOG 234


BLOG 234 February 8th 2015

I have continued to work on the ‘Remembrance’ wall hanging this past week. In my mind, I’m not sure it will work but, because I haven’t committed myself to being part of this project, and because no-one is expecting an entry from me, I can work very freely and intuitively. If it comes together, I will submit it; if it doesn’t what the hell! Working with these thoughts in the back of my mind has been very liberating. Nothing is wasted in the process; I have learned valuable lessons in problem solving and I have had lots of sewing practice! It is quite a stylised piece and here is the progress-so-far in pictures.

                                   Wave patterns

                                      Wind patterns

                                       Sea scape

                                        Batik land mass

                                        Painted fusible

                                   Fusible in place

                                     Sheers on top

                                 Stitching

 Last week and this week, Quiltfest is being held in the Royal Pavilion in Llangollen. I have been down for a quick look and I think it is excellent. Instead of having the work of one quilter on display (which can be a bit samey) there are contributions from many quilters. The theme ‘I like Region 13 because ……’ inspired many members to put needle to cloth and the variety of quilts on display are as individual as the quilters making them. Also on display are a series of quilts on the theme of ‘Dislocation’ by the members of the Contemporary Quilt Group of the Quilters’ Guild. If you are live nearby, make sure you get to this event, you will not be disappointed. Here are 3 quilts from the ‘Dislocation’ exhibition.




        
       Beautiful use of colour and fine stitchery.



    

A suitcase lay abandoned on a London street; there must be a story behind it but it will never be known. The picture was manipulated and printed so that the colours gradually faded.
 


    

People are often uprooted and displaced in the name of progress. This quilt shows people held back by barbed wire in a confined area, whilst a cut-out of their shapes in sheer fabric remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment