Sunday 11 October 2015

BLOG 269


BLOG 269

As far as the thread flowers were concerned, all I needed to do was to secure the flowers in place on the sewing machine and add a concealed ring to the back.

                                             Attaching the flowers

                                                            Nearly there

 The floral strip has easily found its place.  I see it every time I walk down the corridor and it gladdens my heart.

                                  Floral strip

 For those interested to know how to get started, I began by placing and overlapping shears in between 2 layers of dissolvable film. These layers were held tight in an embroidery frame.

                                                             Sheers and film
 

The feed dogs were lowered and a free motion foot was put in the machine. I drew my petals free-hand but you could draw the shapes you want onto one of the dissolvable layers using a permanent marker (this should disappear when the layer is dissolved).

                                                          Thread petals


And then it’s all about colouring in with different shades of thread, a bit like painting really. Be aware of the direction of the markings on the petals and move your machine needle in the same direction as the marks; each flower is individual, so a bit of studying/drawing beforehand doesn’t go amiss. I kept the same thread underneath because I didn’t want to change the bobbin thread every time I changed the top thread and it seems to have worked. And very briefly, that’s how I did my thread flowers. There is so much in-depth information on supplies and processes at the end of your fingertips, just get googling!

And whilst I was slumped over my sewing machine, Suzette’s dog Cookie was relaxing on a faux chenille cushion. You could just hear her uttering ‘peel me a grape please’!

                                                                   Relaxation!

No comments:

Post a Comment