Sunday 4 September 2016

BLOG 315


BLOG 315

Happy September! The temperatures are dropping, the nights are drawing in, the robins are singing, the swallows have congregated and moved on, and the trees are beginning to shed leaves. This can only mean one thing; we will be travelling to America next Friday! And because of that I motored on with the bespoke cushions and they will be handed over on Tuesday. I think they are lovely and cheery and I fancy a set of them myself!

 
                   Cushions

 Now, I have been thinking (dangerous occupation!) for some time that I need to start a long term project not unlike the small journal quilts that have been popular for many years now. I particularly want a project that I can keep adding to when the mood takes me and I certainly want to consider making one a week. If I am going to be that disciplined, the weekly quilts have got to be small or else I will be out-faced by it all! So for inspiration I have gone back to a small wall hanging I made last year for a Quilters’ Guild exhibition on the theme of ….. ’I like Region 13 because…’ It was entitled Diversity and it showed a map of the NW region adorned with fabric luggage labels. The labels were small, varied and easy to sew and they looked good.

              Diversity

               Detail 1

                 Detail 2

                  Detail 3

So I have chosen a standard luggage label as the size of my mini-quilt and the discipline will be how to say what I want to say in that small space.  Sometimes it will be about technique, sometimes an event, perhaps family history or a reaction to something. Who knows where this will take me but as I make my first mini-quilts I am excited by the challenge. Here are the ones I have made over summer.

            Inspired by Suzette Smart

             Husqvarna sewing machine

              Inspired by Richard Box

            Machine stitching

                 Inspire by Susan Lenz

And as I will be on holiday for ten days, there will be no blog for 2 Sundays. We will be enjoying ourselves in the Black Hills of Dakota, Rapid City, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore and everywhere else that area has to offer. And there are quilt shops to find also! I am soooooo excited!

 

2 comments:

  1. Have a lovely holiday. See you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jayne. I've been and gone and come back again, arriving a couple of hours ago after a circuitous route due to plane cancellations. The holiday was fantastic and so interesting! Raring to go again now after I have caught up on my sleep.
    Dilys

    ReplyDelete