Sunday 16 October 2016

BLOG 319


BLOG 319

I have had a garden week this week whilst the weather is still fairly good. A couple of years ago I planted a Rose of Sharon (Hypericum) and it has proved itself to be a total thug in the border. So I have waged war on it and attempted to remove it. This was a hard battle and judging from the invasive root system, it’s not over yet! Now at least the shrubs trying to bed down with it will have some space to flourish.  To balance this strenuous digging, I have indulged myself by sitting in front of the sewing machine making good progress on two particular projects.

One of the table runners has now been covered in a layer of colourful sheers and is well on its way to being complete for Xmas. This is such a joy to work on because it satisfies the need in me to work with colour!

             Sheers 1

            Sheers 2

            Sheers 3

Not only have I added the sheers, I have also made a start on the intensive stitchery in black thread. This has to be done during the day when the light is good and in short doses so that I maintain a good level of concentration!

          Thread work 1

            Thread work 2

            Thread work 3

On completing the stitchery, the rest of the detail will be added with the soldering iron. The mark-making will alter the surface and add more decoration. I just love it!

            Stitched runner

Nights are drawing in now so I spend more early evening time in the loft room with my sewing machine. It’s very easy to find something to do especially if it is beside the machine, pinned up and ready to go. This is now the case with the corner log cabin blocks. I decided to quilt along each seamline with a free-motion stitch, using a leaf and stem pattern. It is one of my favourite patterns so it is easy for me to do and makes the process very quick.

             Quilted block

As well as deciding on a quilting design, I needed to make a decision on how to join the blocks together so I pinned some on my design wall to get an impression of what they would look like when they are together.

            Block setting

I tried strips of black fabric in between the blocks to see how they looked and I liked the strong definition that resulted. All the blocks will be quilted before being joined together with these black strips, a quilt-as-you-go method I have used many times before. This is a good autumn project!

 
               Joining strips


 

No comments:

Post a Comment