Sunday 12 February 2017

BLOG 334


Blog 334

The ‘Stack the Deck’ blocks are continued here. They were organised beside my machine and I had the iron handy.  I joined the pieces together in the reverse order.

               Stacks

              First seam

              Second seam

              Final seam

And the block is completed! I had forgotten how quick this technique was. However, when I stacked my fabrics squares, I placed them ‘dark, dark, light, light’ and that has placed the darks together and the lights together, so obvious when you think about it! When 16 blocks (1/4 yard of each fabric) were laid out, a rather modern looking design had been created. The other problem that occurred was that I made the cut between 3 and 4 go from one side of the fabric across to the other which created a big chunk of fabric across each the 4 blocks. This only occurred on one set of 4 as I cut each stack in a different way. I should have bought the book on the subject by Karla Alexander so I had a better knowledge of it!!

                Lay-out 1

             Lay-out 2

 I then started to wonder if the effect would be different if I placed the fabrics ‘dark, light, dark, light.’ That resulted in a more balanced distribution of the fabrics as seen in the comparison below. They both work and they have been completed as Linus quilts.

          2 variations

          Quilting the cats

             Decorative seams

           Quilting the 9-patch

             Sewing the binding

                 Mitred corner

                Starting edge

                Finishing edge

 And there you have it, 6 quilts for the Linus project. I am glad I have got that out of my system. Slamming quilts under the sewing machine allows you to cover ground quickly but there is little joy in working at that level constantly. I am now returning to my creative pursuits and will make more Linus quilts later in the year.

            6 Linus quilts

 And finally, it must be cold. Here’s Willow as close to the fire as she can get without stepping on the hearth!

            Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment