Sunday 13 January 2019

BLOG 428

Blog 428

Last week, ‘The nearest and dearest’ went away for 4 days to the family farm on the Pludds in the Forest of Dean. The prospect of delicious space stretched out in front of me as he drove away from the house and I waved him a fond goodbye. And at that very moment the phone rang. It was the ‘Down Belows’  (so called because they live in the farm down below us!) informing me that the hedge trimmer was in the area and if I wanted some willow from their wood, now was the time to be cutting it. Ever since I fashioned a willow hare on a course last year, I have wanted to have another go, to reinforce the techniques and to see what I could make on my own.  This phone call forced my hand and focused my mind and so I went down straight away to cut some bundles. I didn’t even know if it was the right sort of willow (is there a right sort?) but, as it was freshly cut, I thought it would be pliable enough without soaking.
 


              Willow bundles
 


A few hours later, after much wrangling and wrestling, I had created the body of a goose … to my mind … but it really looks like a sphere with attitude! My thumbs were sore after all the manipulation and I have yet to go back to it. Perhaps I have got willow weaving out of my system!!!
 


            Willow ball
 


              Can you see what it is yet?!
 

And so back down to earth again and to what I know and love. The Linus quilts have been bound this week. Three of the bindings I sewed on in the traditional way with a 2” folded strip, machine sewing it to the front and hand sewing it onto the back. The hand sewing took ages and so I decided to try another way. Four of the quilts have a black backing and the binding is black also so I reckoned that it would be possible to machine sew the binding onto the back and turn it onto the front to machine sew it down. It is really just the reverse of the traditional method but requires more precise sewing on the front; happily I found it easier than I had anticipated. I will show these quilts at Gresford next week and then hand them over to the Linus project. My conscience is clear now and I can indulge my own creative juices as I return to my painterly work.

            Quilted Linus quilts and binding


 
            Hand sewn binding



 


          Binding on the back
 


           Binding onto the front
 


               Approaching a corner
 


             Start and finish
                 Progress
 
 
A job that I habitually do at this time of the year is to reclaim my window sills from the rampant plants (tradescantia zerbena) that thrive on them. This particular plant developed from a sickly cutting which I liberated from my mother’s house many years ago so it has sentimental connotations. It has truly thrived on the wide sills here and engulfs everything in its way. So this process is about taming the beast by taking cuttings to start again and also about finding my buried treasures to enjoy once again!



               Window sills
 


             Before
 


             After
 


 
And here are my treasures on just one of the four window sills. They are very evocative of places and people and go a long way to illustrate the person I am……A Dean Crouser painted plate (USA), a dragonfly pottery vase (from a dear quilting friend who has had a stroke), a carved wooden turtle from Hawaii (a wedding anniversary trip), a painted pottery monster from a granddaughter (the future), a Mini Fijian kava bowl (Pacific experience), a Grecian urn, Murano glass paper weight, an onyx eternity ornament, a Milton Abbas cottage (home for 9 years), a wooden Japanese Kokeshi doll (a student from my teaching days), an old fireplace tile and a pottery keepsake from the village of Osmotherley (my maiden name).

                                  Treasures
 

No comments:

Post a Comment