Sunday 17 November 2019

BLOG 470

Blog 470
And now for something different as the saying goes! I have been invited to make a small wall hanging to go in the United Reform Church in Upton. It is a ‘thank you’ to the church community for allowing Chester Ps&Qs to hold their exhibition there last year. It is a bit late in being done but, after a prompt from the vicar to the committee, I was asked if I would be willing to make it. I like a challenge so I heartily agreed. Now that my creative project of painterly pansies is underway, I felt I could now concentrate totally on it. I took a couple of days to create the design and drew it with a reverse applique method in mind. In that method the design is constructed of holes that would be cut out and filled with colour. So far so good!
 
 
Pattern

 
I started to audition fabric too, although none of these were used in the end.
 

             Auditioning fabric
 
 


I traced the design onto a fusible layer and ironed it onto the WS of a black fabric. I used a small rotary cutter to cut cleanly along the straight lines before using scissors to cut into the corners. And then disaster struck! I cut across one of the radiating lines and the piece was ruined. Grrrrr! Without any delay, I changed the method from reverse applique to the traditional stained glass method with bias binding.
               Disaster!
 
Here is the sequence showing the progress so far using the revised method, where the design is drawn onto the WS of a foundation fabric and the colours are added in sequence to the RS. I wanted it bright and colourful for impact and also so I would enjoy working on it! Colour makes me happy. Here’s the sequence.


 
            Progress 1
 

 
          Progress 2
 

 
          Progress 3
 

 
            Progress 4
 

 
            Progress 5
 

 
             Progress 6
 

 
            Progress 7
 

          Completed colour
 
The colouring-in of the shapes with fabric is complete now. What I have to do next is apply and stitch the bias binding tape in place to make this look like a stained glass window.  I think the success of this project is down to the colour choices and these are the sorts of fabrics I have in my stash to enable me to do this. I am happy with the project so far!


 
           Fabric palette
 

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment