Sunday 26 January 2020

BLOG 480

Blog 480
 

This week I managed to make what I thought would be another Linus quilt, but I liked it so much that I am now going to make it into a single bed quilt. Each block measures 14 ½” before construction and the blocks will be joined together with a 1 ½” strip. It’s not an original block and it wasn’t quite designed on ‘the back of an envelope’ because I did manage to find a scrap of paper to work out the size of my centre square! My colourful strips measured 11” x 4” (they are half of the original rectangle) so the centre square needed to be cut at 7 ½”.
 

           Master plan
 
 

CONSTRUCTION
I placed the first strip for side 1 RS together with the centre square, making one edge of the strip align with one edge of the square. I sewed with a ¼” seam from the aligned edge and stopped 2” from the corner of the black square to attach side 1 (the rest of this strip will be sewn in pace when side 4 has been attached). The seams on the strips were pushing the seam allowance towards the black fabric so I pressed them in that direction.

              Part seam
 
Side 2 was placed RS together across the aligned edges of the strip and the black square and sewn and pressed.


               Side 2
 
 


            Press to the centre
 
 
 

Side 3 was aligned along the third side and sewn.
 




                Side 3 RS together
 
 
 
            
                Side 3 press
 
 
And finally, I was able to finish sewing the remainder of side 1 to complete the block.  




           Completed block RS
 
 
 

           Completed block WS
 
 

             Progress 


 This block was a joy to do and it went together very quickly because I had amassed a pile of striped sides. Before I went any further, I pressed all the blocks and measured them to make sure that they were all the same size. They weren’t so I had to trim them down to the size of the smallest before contemplating sewing them together. You can see from the picture that I am talking of tiny trimmings here (¼” or less).




               Trimming
 
 


         9 Blocks and trimmings


 Once trimmed, they went together accurately and smoothly. I reckon another 2 rows of 3 will cover the top of a single bed. And if I add another block on 3 sides of those 15 squares, I will have a dramatic and sizeable quilt.
              9 Blocks together
 
 
 


 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment