Sunday 7 June 2020

BLOG 499


Blog 499

I have to say that I am really enjoying the development of this piece of work: it’s colourful, it’s joyful, it’s based on my doodles and so it is very me! I started to build up the surrounding water effect by drawing the shapes on the master pattern but it wasn’t long before I started to cut free hand and the remainder of it was done in this way. Fortunately I had plenty of ready-fused fabrics left over from other projects so nothing slowed down the progress.


        Turtle 1


         Turtle 2


As I was cutting shapes, my mind was pondering the next stage and questioning whether I wanted to continue to build up the picture in this way? I tried a sample shoreline with some palm trees as a sort of ‘heading’ and then it occurred to me that there needed to be some sort of border all round to contain the image. I thought about a coral reef which sent me off on another tack and, after seeing archive pictures of floating plastic bags and detritus in the oceans, I decided that the border should be made from plastic. I’ve never worked with plastics before, but I can learn with the help of all the extensive free information on Google!


        Turtle 3


        Turtle 4



     Detail


As a trial run, my first attempt was with several heat-fused layers of a black bin liner and I cut the palm trees from that. Then I started to root in the cupboards and waste bin to see if there were other plastics I could use.  I wanted bright colours but I had limited supplies so a plastic carrier bag and a freezer bag for peas were used for my next attempt. I didn’t heat these at all but just placed them onto wadding and stitched them with a matching thread and a free motion stitch. I cut out the coral seen above from the red plastic carrier bag. So far so good, I was pleased with progress!


        Plastic carrier bag


          ree machining: red


         Free machining: green


And then it occurred to me that if I am going use plastics in this project, I needed to press and quilt the applied fabric shapes first before adding any. I am at the quilting stage now whilst still experimenting with different plastics and different approaches to producing colours. This is great fun!!   


        Preparing for quilting


        Quilting detail


        Quilting detail 2

No comments:

Post a Comment