Sunday 9 August 2020

BLOG 508

 

Blog 508

 

Progress is steady and varied on the Contemporary Sampler. Once the creative work has been done and design decisions have been made (and that’s the best apart as far as I am concerned) it is then all about constant application and hard work. The different processes concerned are lengthy and repetitive at this stage and it takes shovel loads of grit to carry on. There is also the desperate need to see what the finish quilt is going to look like and this is the best metaphorical carrot in the process for me. Background radio helps but, if I am working on the sewing machine, I miss half of what has been said! Anyway, here’s the week’s progress.


 
Stitch detail 1

 
Stitch detail 2

 
Stitch detail 3

 
Soldering detail 1

 

 

Soldering detail 3

 

Fan before soldering

 

Fan after

 

Dutchman’s Puzzle before

 

Dutchman’s Puzzle after

 

At this stage, all the individual blocks have been completed now and here they are on my design wall.

 

Soldered blocks

 

I toyed with the idea of finishing it at this stage but felt that the blocks needed to be separated by lattice work and corner blocks. I knew this would take a huge amount of extra time but I felt that adding them would be in the true spirit of the sampler quilt. There are 31 rectangles and 12 corners in the main body of the quilt and another 18 rectangles and 18 corners in the outer border!! I asked myself ‘what have I done!?’ and then I started to knuckle down and make some progress.

 

Bordered blocks

 

Lattice preparation

 

Stitching

 

Corner stones

 

Soldering

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment