Sunday 30 May 2021

BLOG 550

 

Blog 550

 

There’s not a lot to report this week mainly because my sewing machine decided it didn’t want to sew properly. Grrrr! I went through all sorts of trouble-shooting exercises, but it still looped the stitches on the back of the baby quilt that I am making. It was maddening! Then I thought I’d use the machine that I won in a competition, a Husqvarna Opal, which has mainly lain idle since bringing it home. The main reason for this is that it requires a special green spool and I have dozens of bog standard spools already filled with threads.

 
Spools

 

This machine proved to be no push-over! The free machine foot that was provided with the machine just clamped onto the fabric and I couldn’t move it in any direction. More Grrrr!! So I need to take it to the local shop that provided it (if it is still open) and ask for some sound advice. The baby was due yesterday so I was anxious to finish this quilt. Even more Grrrr! It is a floor quilt so I used a dyed calico on the back.

 

Baby quilt

Free motion quilting

 
Dyed calico

 

With the relaxing of Covid restrictions, I have been able to spend time with my granddaughters. We usually try to do some messing about in my playroom and this time Ella did a picture using oil pastels which acts as a resist. It was then covered with Quink ink. I love the effect!

 
Oil pastels

 

As it rained incessantly this past week, I was able to spend time with the jigsaw and I am pleased to say that it is finished. What an obsessive effort it has been! It was hard but somehow fun to do because of the interesting and detailed content.  

 
2000 piece jigsaw

 

I have been pondering for a while now whether to continue posting a regular blog. I have come to the conclusion that I haven’t anything fresh to say about my quilting endeavours. I have established my quilting style long ago and I have been working in this way for some time. Occasionally there is a new piece of painterly work, perhaps a Linus quilt here or a wall hanging there but I feel that I have got nothing to say now that is fresh.  So I am going to step back from weekly posting for the summer months and decide whether I want to stop completely in September. Thank you to those who have faithfully followed my musings. I wouldn’t have written it without the support of my ’friends in stitches’, my people out there in the dark!  

11 comments:

  1. Sunday evening would not feel complete without reading your blog. Enjoy your summer but do come back in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have been there right from the start Sue so thanks for your support over the years. X

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog but I know it takes a lot of preparation so have a rest and enjoy your other activities this Summer. I will look forward to seeing you back in September if that’s what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gwyn. It will be good to have a break over the summer. Sundays have always been associated with posting the blog so I'll save a couple of hours in that respect. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday's won't be the same but I do know it takes quite a bit of time to put together so enjoy your extra time and relax. X

      Delete
  4. I hope that you start up again in September as I am always interested to see what you are creating. A summer break may reignite your enthusiasm for blogging.
    I had the same problem with my machine last week so I empathise with the frustration. In the end I changed the bobbin which did the trick. I think it must have been an unevenly wound bobbin. I daresay you've tried that though. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your interest Mary. I've been blogging since Feb 2010 so it's been a long haul. A break is what I need obviously! I will get back to my machine soon, I'm leaving it to sulk at the moment 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can fully understand your reasons for taking a break. The hours of preparation that must have gone into your posts over the years I truly admire your persistence. you must have put some things to one side to do this and I have found your advice and help invaluable. I have also enjoyed some of the funnier posts and had a chortle at some of your antics.
    Have a good summer i know the last couple of months have had there ups and downs so now you have time to devote to you and the family .Please come back later in the year even if it is not as regular

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Jackie
    Thanks for your continued support and understanding, it is always appreciated! Ironically I found it hard not to go to the computer today to prepare my usual posting 🙃 I am enjoying being creative as usual but just not posting about it.
    Hopefully we'll catch up soon x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So grateful for your blog it has always been the highlight of my Sunday .You deserve a rest . Sundays will not be the same .when your not there. You always motivate me to do something.
    I have bought a single hole throat plate for my machine A Husky. It stops all the puckering of fabric and sews even sheer fabric beautifully. I think on Sundays I will read your past blogs. even your granddaughtersets me thinking. Enjoy your summer and please come back in September. Remembering with much love all our weekends at Alston Hall. Stay well safe and Happy. Carol





    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya Carol
    Lovely to hear from you after so long and thanks for your positive comments. It's years since Alston Hall days and weren't we lucky to have that facility way back then.
    We'll see how I feel in September. I'm loving the garden at the moment so quilting and all things creative have very much taken a back seat. Don't stop sewing yourself though I'd hate that to happen
    Dilys x

    ReplyDelete