Thursday 18 February 2010

BLOG 1

LIFT OFF

Hello whoever you are and wherever you are, welcome to my very first blog.

I have been determined to start one for a long while so here goes. Where it will lead, I know not, but with all my knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for making quilts, it should be an interesting and informative journey. You may ask questions or send comments and I will be pleased to respond.

Aside: And now I am looking at the blank page and thinking what do I say next!

I think I should start with a brief outline of my life before quilting. I will expand on this section under the heading of LBQ in future blogs and add detail where there is something of interest to say.


LIFE BEFORE QUILTING (LBQ)

I was a total beginner once, a non-sewer who would no more have picked up a needle than flown to the moon. Although my mother was (and still is at 94!) a competent embroiderer, I had no history of a life surrounded by fabric and because my mother sewed, I didn’t need to or want to. I directed all the considerable energies of my youth to participating in sports.
I went on to train as a PE teacher and, as soon as I qualified, I applied for Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO). I was posted to what was then called the Gilbert and Ellice Island Colony (GEIC) in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean, now referred to as Kiribati and Tuvalu since independence. I met and married my husband Roger out there and returned to teach in Mid-Wales the UK before becoming a full time Mum to two daughters, Tamana Anne and Tessa May in Dorset. It was in Dorset that I saw my first quilt and from that moment I knew that I had found where I wanted to be without realising that I had been searching for somewhere to go.


So just how did I get from my first traditional quilt block ….








TOPEKA 15” x 15”



….. to the painterly quilts I am making today?


ROBIN 29" x 32"
Visit my website at http://www.dilysfronks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment