Wednesday 24 February 2010

BLOG 4

LBQ

A few miles from where I was born, there is the parish of Osmotherley at Broughton Beck (I always intended to get married there but life took me on a different course). Our coat of arms appears on the lintel of Langrigg Hall at Dubmill, Cumbria, and nearby is located Osmotherley Cottage and a commemorative stone in a school wall to a benefactor, Richard Osmotherley.
The village of Osmotherley near N Allerton in Yorkshire developed from another branch of the family and the folklore attached to it is quoted from the following site:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Osmotherley/Osmotherley90.html

‘When King Oswald's son was born, the wise men and magicians were summoned to court to forecast the destiny of the child. They all declared that he would be drowned before attaining a certain age. The fond mother, in her solicitude to prevent such a mishap, carried him away from the disturbed north to a hill in peaceful Cleveland, called Roseberry, where she hoped to rear him in safety, until the dreaded period was passed. But, alas! the Fates had decreed it otherwise. A fountain of water gushed out of the rock, and fulfilled the prediction. The child was buried in the neighbouring church of Teviotdale, and the loving mother, filled with grief at the loss of her darling boy, pined away and soon followed him to the grave. She was buried, according to her oft-expressed desire, by his side; and thus, from the saying of the people, "Os-by-his-mother-lay," the place got the name of Osmotherley.

In Parliament, there are the Osmotherley Rules referring to the departmental evidence and response to select committees.
So the pedigree is illustrious but I am hopelessly impoverished these days!!!

(Aside: interesting that the computer offers smothered as the alternative for Osmotherley)
MY QUILTING JOURNEY
Having made my first Appliqué Sampler quilt, I then went on to make a Traditional Sampler. It was hand appliquéd, machine pieced and hand quilted.







TRADITIONAL SAMPLER 63” x 78”





Sampler quilts are brilliant for learning! Such quilts include pieced or patchwork blocks, made by accurately preparing squares, rectangles and triangles and sewing them together to create 12” squares of fabric. These include blocks made with 16-patches, 9-patches and 4-patches. Preparing shapes and sewing (or applying) them on to a ready cut background creates the appliqué blocks. My next quilt was a Log Cabin quilt.
QUILTING 2010

I have mentioned before that I usually have a quilt in my hands, one under the machine and one on the design wall. (Oh and I forgot about the one (of hundreds) that is in my mind!).
The quilt on my design wall at present is a challenge for the AGM of the Quilters’ Guild of the BI. This year it is to be held in the NW Region 13, in Southport. The challenge is open to members of the host region and the theme is ‘innovation’. I figured that the way I have been working over the last 4 years seems original and innovative to me. My entry ‘FLOWER VASES’ is still in progress, with machine quilting and detail yet to be added. (More information later.)

FLOWER VASES

No comments:

Post a Comment